You’ve found the BEST Lemon Blueberry Bread recipe! This lemon blueberry bread is so easy to make, incredibly moist and delicious! It’s perfect for breakfast, dessert, or as a tasty afternoon snack. This Lemon Blueberry Bread recipe is going to be your new ‘go to’ favorite dessert in no time!
Most people think of baking as a fall and winter activity. However, I keep my oven going all year long. What can I say? I just love fresh baked goods! And there are plenty of very summery recipes that I love to bake.
My lemon blueberry bread is the perfect example. It’s bright, fresh and the perfect sweet bread to enjoy all summer long! I haven’t made a loaf yet this year but I am already craving the taste of warm blueberries with the zesty lemon bread. Doesn’t it just make your mouth water??!
Not only am I a big fan of lemon blueberry bread but my family goes crazy for it, too. Every one of my kids would gobble up a whole loaf if I let them! Slather it with a little butter and it makes a great breakfast. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the top and you have an incredible dessert. Or, simply cut a slice when the bread is warm from the oven and you will be in heaven. No matter how you serve this lemon blueberry bread, I know you will love it!
So.. let me tell you all about how to make this dreamy bread become a reality.
What You’ll Need to make Lemon Blueberry Bread
Time to make the grocery list and grab everything you need to make lemon blueberry bread. You should probably pick up enough to make two of three loaves, actually. You are going to want them. Here is what you will need:
- butter– Using real butter makes the bread taste incredibly rich. I use unsalted butter when baking so my bread isn’t too salty.
- sugar– White sugar makes the bread perfectly sweet.
- eggs– Eggs help bind the blueberry bread togethers, giving it the perfect texture and crumb
- lemon- I use lemon zest and lemon juice in this recipe several times. You will need three whole lemons to make one loaf- it is super lemony!
- flour– All purpose flour works perfectly in this recipe.
- baking powder– Baking powder helps the bread rise and makes the dough bake nice and fluffy.
- salt– A sprinkle of salt enhances all the flavors in the bread. Did you know salt actually makes things taste sweeter?
- milk– Whole milk gives the bread a rich taste and makes the batter nice and smooth.
- blueberries– I use fresh blueberries which are in season in the summer. Frozen berries can work in a pinch.
- powdered sugar– Powdered sugar is used to make a beautiful glaze, icing the blueberry bread in sweet lemony frosting.
Do you have everything you need to make this blueberry bread? I bet you already have most of the ingredients in your pantry! It always amazes me how you can turn the simplest ingredients into something so delicious. This blueberry lemon bread is the perfect example of the magic of baking.
Lemon Blueberry Bread Recipe
Here’s how to make lemon blueberry bread step by step
Kitchen tools: I like to use my stand mixer with paddle attachment to make this recipe. You can also use a large mixing bowl and an electric hand mixer. You will also need a measuring cup, measuring spoons and a rubber spatula to help stir in the blueberries. The bread bakes in a regular sized loaf pan lined with parchment paper so get that ready, too!
Here is a quick look at how to make my lemon blueberry bread:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and get your loaf pan ready by lining it with parchment paper. This will make it very easy to unmold later on.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs and lemon zest slowly, mixing after each egg addition.
4. Add the dry ingredients and blend into a smooth batter. Try not to over mix at this step of the bread can get a little tough.
5. Place a sieve over the mixing bowl and sift in the flour, baking powder and salt. Use a spoon to gently fold together.
5. Toss the blueberries in a little flour and then mix them into the batter. The flour will prevent the blueberries from sinking as they bake, keeping them evenly distributed throughout the bread and dough.
6. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for about 50 minutes.
7. When the cake has 10 minutes left in the oven, make the lemon syrup with the powdered sugar and lemon juice.
8. When the loaf bread is done baking, prick it all over with a toothpick and pour the lemon syrup over the whole loaf. The warm syrup will seep into the blueberry bread adding so much incredible flavor.
9. Let the loaf cool completely and then use the parchment paper to help lift it out of the pan.
If you have ever made a sweet bread before, you will notice how this lemon blueberry bread recipe follows the same steps. My lemon syrup and lemon glaze are just little extra touches that really make this recipe stand out!
Lemon bread with blueberries
Lemon blueberry bread is the perfect summer breakfast. It is full of healthy, fresh fruit and has a bold lemon taste that will help you wake up in the morning. It is also fantastic on any summer picnic tables. I served lemon blueberry loaf slices last Fourth of July with some fresh strawberries on the side- the perfect red, white and blue treat!
You can easily make this lemon blueberry bread recipe ahead of time and store it in the freezer for months, thawing it whenever you need a beautiful summery bread. However, I always end up taking my frozen blueberry bread out of the freezer after just a few days- I want to eat it right away! I just can’t wait.
You also shouldn’t wait any longer to make this recipe. It is a real summer classic and I know that you will enjoy making it as well as eating it. The summer heat is coming so let the summer baking begin! Start with this recipe and welcome the summer with the perfect treat. Enjoy!
*This post may contain affiliate links. Read our Disclosure Policy for more details.
Try these other delicious summer desserts!
I hope you love this lemon blueberry bread recipe – be sure to give it a review below!
This lemon blueberry bread is so easy to make, incredibly moist and delicious! It’s perfect for breakfast, dessert, or as a tasty afternoon snack. This Lemon Blueberry Bread recipe is going to be your new ‘go to’ favorite dessert in no time!
For the cake:
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large lemon, zested
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1.5 tsps baking powder
4 tbsps milk
1.5 cups blueberries
2 tsps flour, for tossing the blueberries
For the lemon syrup:
1 large lemon, juiced
1/2 cup powdered sugar
For the lemon glaze:
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350oF. Line a 2lb loaf pan with with baking parchment.
- Add the softened butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and cream together until light and fluffy.Add the eggs and lemon zest and beat together well until the mixture has doubled in size.
- Place a sieve over the mixing bowl and sift in the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Use a spoon to gently fold together.
- Toss the blueberries in 2 tsps of flour and add them to the mixing bowl. Gently fold them in.
- Transfer the cake batter to the prepared baking pan using a spoon to level the top of themixture.
- Put the pan in to the center of the preheated oven and bake for 50 minutes or until the cake isgolden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- When the cake has 10 minutes left in the oven, make the lemon syrup. Put the lemon juiceand powdered sugar into a small saucepan placed over a medium heat. Bring to a simmerstirring continuously until the sugar has dissolved. This will only take a minute or two.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven use a toothpick to prick the cake over its entiresurface then pour the lemon syrup over the top of the cake. Leave the cake in the pan toabsorb all of the syrup as it cools.
- When the cake has cooled remove it from the pan and transfer to a serving plate.
- To make the lemon glaze add the powdered sugar to a bowl then gradually add the lemonjuice, mixing together until the glaze reaches a pouring consistency.
- Use a spoon to drizzle the lemon glaze over the top of the cake.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!