This classic whoopie pies recipe is so good made of soft, fluffy chocolate cakes filled with vanilla marshmallow cream filling – the perfect treats for Valentine’s Day!
Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and today, I’m excited to share with you my delicious whoopie pies recipe ! These delicious whoopie pies are sure to be a hit on Valentine’s Day!
Whoopie Pies are a classic treat that have been enjoyed for decades, and chocolate Whoopie Pies are a delicious twist on the traditional recipe. These soft, fluffy chocolate cakes filled with a creamy filling make for the perfect treat for Valentine’s Day. Not only are they easy to make, but they are also versatile in flavor and can be decorated to suit any occasion.
A Little History About Whoopie Pies
Whoopie Pies are a traditional dessert that originated in the northeastern United States, specifically in the Amish and Pennsylvania Dutch communities. According to the recipe book, “Whoopie Pies: Dozens of Mix ’em, Match ’em, Eat ’em Up Recipes” by Sarah Billingsley and Amy Treadwell, Whoopie Pies were brought to the U.S by the Amish in the 1920s. The name “Whoopie Pie” is believed to have originated from the Amish who, upon receiving the pies in their lunch pails, would exclaim “Whoopie!” in excitement.
Additionally, The New York Times also reported that the Whoopie Pie is believed to have originated from the Pennsylvania Dutch in the early 20th century. The first recorded usage of the term “Whoopie Pie” was in the Berwick Enterprise newspaper from Berwick, Pennsylvania, in 1931. They would bake them as a type of lunchbox dessert for their children and husbands and when men and kids opened their lunch and saw a whoopie pie, they would exclaim “whoopie!” in delight, hence the name.
The traditional whoopie pie recipe is made of two chocolate cakes with a creamy filling in between. The chocolate cakes are soft, moist and fluffy, while the filling is typically made of marshmallow cream, giving it a light and sweet taste. Nowadays you can find different flavors and fillings of the treat, like pumpkin, red velvet, peanut butter and more. The origins of the treat may be debated, but it is widely agreed that it is a beloved dessert that has stood the test of time.
Key Ingredients Needed for Making Whoopie Pies
If you’re looking to make your own whoopie pies, there are a few key ingredients that you’ll need to have on hand in order to create the perfect whoopie pies recipe.
Here are the must-have main ingredients that you’ll need to make classic chocolate whoopie pies:
- All-purpose flour – provides the structure and bulk that the cakes need. Without flour, the cakes would be too crumbly and would fall apart. All-purpose flour is the most commonly used flour for this recipe, and it’s widely available at most grocery stores.
- Cocoa powder – provides the rich, chocolate flavor that makes chocolate whoopie pies so irresistible. Be sure to use unsweetened cocoa powder, as this will give you the most intense chocolate flavor. Additionally, it gives the cakes the desired dark chocolate color.
- Shortening – another key ingredient to make the dough for the cakes, providing a moist and fluffy texture.
- Eggs – provide structure and help to bind the ingredients together. The eggs also contribute to the texture of the cakes, ensuring that they are light and fluffy.
- Sugar – gives the cakes a sweet taste, and it also helps to brown the cakes during baking. This is the main sweetener in the recipe, so make sure to use granulated sugar for the best results.
- Baking soda and baking powder – leavening agents that help the cakes to rise and become fluffy during baking. Without these ingredients, the cakes would be dense and heavy. These ingredients help to create the light and fluffy texture that makes whoopie pies so irresistible.
- Salt – helps to enhance the flavor of the dough and helps to balance out the sweetness of the sugar. A pinch of salt is all that’s needed, so be careful not to overdo it.
- Milk – provides moisture to the dough and helps to make the cakes tender. Without milk, the cakes would be dry and crumbly.
- Vanilla extract – adds flavor to the cakes and the filling. It also helps to balance out the sweetness of the sugar and gives a nice aroma to the cakes. Clear vanilla extract is preferred to keep the cakes color intact.
- Filling ingredients are also important. A classic filling for chocolate whoopie pies is made with shortening, confectioners’ sugar, marshmallow cream and vanilla extract. Shortening is used to make the filling creamy, confectioners’ sugar is the main sweetener and marshmallow cream gives a light and fluffy texture. Vanilla extract is used to add flavor to the filling and help balance out the sweetness.
How to Make Chocolate Whoopie Pies
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Draw a heart shape on the back of a piece of parchment paper with a Sharpie marker. Place the parchment paper, drawing side down, on a baking sheet.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together shortening and sugar for 2 minutes.
5. In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, unsweetened cocoa powder, and salt.
6. Slowly add half of the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture and mix. Then, add milk and vanilla extract and stir.
7. Finally, add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
8. Transfer the batter to a piping bag. Pipe the batter over the heart-shaped tracing on the parchment paper.
9. Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 8 minutes.
10. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool.
11. To make the filling, mix together all ingredients using a stand or electric hand mixer.
12. Transfer the filling to a piping bag and pipe about a tablespoon of filling onto the flat side of one cookie. Place another cookie on top of the filling to create a sandwich.
13. Repeat until all sandwiches are made. Add sprinkles around the sandwiches if you like.