This classic whoopie pies recipe is so good made of soft, fluffy chocolate cakes filled with vanilla marshmallow cream filling – the perfect treats for Valentine’s Day!
Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and today, I’m excited to share with you my delicious whoopie pies recipe ! These delicious whoopie pies are sure to be a hit on Valentine’s Day!
Whoopie Pies are a classic treat that have been enjoyed for decades, and chocolate Whoopie Pies are a delicious twist on the traditional recipe. These soft, fluffy chocolate cakes filled with a creamy filling make for the perfect treat for Valentine’s Day. Not only are they easy to make, but they are also versatile in flavor and can be decorated to suit any occasion.
A Little History About Whoopie Pies
Whoopie Pies are a traditional dessert that originated in the northeastern United States, specifically in the Amish and Pennsylvania Dutch communities. According to the recipe book, “Whoopie Pies: Dozens of Mix ’em, Match ’em, Eat ’em Up Recipes” by Sarah Billingsley and Amy Treadwell, Whoopie Pies were brought to the U.S by the Amish in the 1920s. The name “Whoopie Pie” is believed to have originated from the Amish who, upon receiving the pies in their lunch pails, would exclaim “Whoopie!” in excitement.
Additionally, The New York Times also reported that the Whoopie Pie is believed to have originated from the Pennsylvania Dutch in the early 20th century. The first recorded usage of the term “Whoopie Pie” was in the Berwick Enterprise newspaper from Berwick, Pennsylvania, in 1931. They would bake them as a type of lunchbox dessert for their children and husbands and when men and kids opened their lunch and saw a whoopie pie, they would exclaim “whoopie!” in delight, hence the name.
The traditional whoopie pie recipe is made of two chocolate cakes with a creamy filling in between. The chocolate cakes are soft, moist and fluffy, while the filling is typically made of marshmallow cream, giving it a light and sweet taste. Nowadays you can find different flavors and fillings of the treat, like pumpkin, red velvet, peanut butter and more. The origins of the treat may be debated, but it is widely agreed that it is a beloved dessert that has stood the test of time.
Key Ingredients Needed for Making Whoopie Pies
If you’re looking to make your own whoopie pies, there are a few key ingredients that you’ll need to have on hand in order to create the perfect whoopie pies recipe.
Here are the must-have main ingredients that you’ll need to make classic chocolate whoopie pies:
- All-purpose flour – provides the structure and bulk that the cakes need. Without flour, the cakes would be too crumbly and would fall apart. All-purpose flour is the most commonly used flour for this recipe, and it’s widely available at most grocery stores.
- Cocoa powder – provides the rich, chocolate flavor that makes chocolate whoopie pies so irresistible. Be sure to use unsweetened cocoa powder, as this will give you the most intense chocolate flavor. Additionally, it gives the cakes the desired dark chocolate color.
- Shortening – another key ingredient to make the dough for the cakes, providing a moist and fluffy texture.
- Eggs – provide structure and help to bind the ingredients together. The eggs also contribute to the texture of the cakes, ensuring that they are light and fluffy.
- Sugar – gives the cakes a sweet taste, and it also helps to brown the cakes during baking. This is the main sweetener in the recipe, so make sure to use granulated sugar for the best results.
- Baking soda and baking powder – leavening agents that help the cakes to rise and become fluffy during baking. Without these ingredients, the cakes would be dense and heavy. These ingredients help to create the light and fluffy texture that makes whoopie pies so irresistible.
- Salt – helps to enhance the flavor of the dough and helps to balance out the sweetness of the sugar. A pinch of salt is all that’s needed, so be careful not to overdo it.
- Milk – provides moisture to the dough and helps to make the cakes tender. Without milk, the cakes would be dry and crumbly.
- Vanilla extract – adds flavor to the cakes and the filling. It also helps to balance out the sweetness of the sugar and gives a nice aroma to the cakes. Clear vanilla extract is preferred to keep the cakes color intact.
- Filling ingredients are also important. A classic filling for chocolate whoopie pies is made with shortening, confectioners’ sugar, marshmallow cream and vanilla extract. Shortening is used to make the filling creamy, confectioners’ sugar is the main sweetener and marshmallow cream gives a light and fluffy texture. Vanilla extract is used to add flavor to the filling and help balance out the sweetness.
How to Make Chocolate Whoopie Pies
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Draw a heart shape on the back of a piece of parchment paper with a Sharpie marker. Place the parchment paper, drawing side down, on a baking sheet.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together shortening and sugar for 2 minutes.
4. Add eggs and mix until fully combined.
5. In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, unsweetened cocoa powder, and salt.
6. Slowly add half of the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture and mix. Then, add milk and vanilla extract and stir.
7. Finally, add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
8. Transfer the batter to a piping bag. Pipe the batter over the heart-shaped tracing on the parchment paper.
9. Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 8 minutes.
10. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool.
11. To make the filling, mix together all ingredients using a stand or electric hand mixer.
12. Transfer the filling to a piping bag and pipe about a tablespoon of filling onto the flat side of one cookie. Place another cookie on top of the filling to create a sandwich.
13. Repeat until all sandwiches are made. Add sprinkles around the sandwiches if you like.
Tips and tricks for making delicious Whoopie Pies
- When stacking sandwiches, place wax paper between each set to avoid sticking.
- Trace with a sharpie a cut out of heart or a heart cookie cutter on the back of parchment paper.
- If you do not have a piping bag you can use a gallon size Ziplock bag.
- After you have piped out the batter use the back of a spoon to smooth out the batter. This will help remove all the air pockets that could be in the batter.
- Allow the cookies to completely cool.
- Batter will spread when baking. For this recipe, I used a 2″ heart shape cookie cutter. If you are doing just a dollop, I would do a large teaspoon.
- You can use a handheld electric mixer but I also suggest using a stand mixer.
- Use room temperature ingredients. Room temperature ingredients mix together more easily, which helps create a better texture in the final product.
- Experiment with different frosting techniques. You can pipe the frosting, smear it or make a swirl on the top of your Whoopie pies.
- Store in an air-tight container for 2-3 days.
Variations of the Whoopie Pie Recipe To Try
- Red Velvet Whoopie Pies: Add a touch of red food coloring to the batter to give the Whoopie Pies a classic red velvet color and flavor.
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies: Add pumpkin puree to the batter and spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, this gives a seasonal touch to the Whoopie Pies
- Lemon Whoopie Pies: Add lemon zest and juice to the batter for a tangy twist on the traditional recipe.
- Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies: Substitute some of the flour for peanut flour and make a peanut butter filling, it will be a delicious combination.
- Coffee Whoopie Pies: Add some instant coffee to the batter to give the Whoopie Pies a mocha flavor.
Ready to satisfy your sweet tooth? Try this delicious recipe for homemade whoopie pies! Made with a rich chocolate cookie and a fluffy marshmallow filling, these treats are sure to be a hit. Follow the instructions and ingredients listed above to make your own batch of chocolate whoopie pies. Don’t forget to add some sprinkles for a fun touch! Share your creations and tag me on social media.Print
Whoopie Pies Recipe
- Prep Time: 40-45 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 9 minute
- Yield: 24 cookie sandwiches 1x
This classic whoopie pies recipe is so good made of soft, fluffy chocolate cakes filled with vanilla marshmallow cream filling – the perfect treat for Valentine’s Day!
For the Whoopie Pie:
2/3 cup shortening
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
For the Filling:
2 cups shortening
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
4 cup marshmallow cream
2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Draw a heart shape on the back of a piece of parchment paper with a Sharpie marker.
- Place the parchment paper, drawing side down, on a baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together shortening and sugar for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and mix until fully combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, unsweetened cocoa powder, and salt.
- Slowly add half of the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture and mix. Then, add milk and vanilla extract and stir.
- Finally, add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Transfer the batter to a piping bag. Pipe the batter over the heart-shaped tracing on the parchment paper.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool.
- To make the filling, mix together all ingredients using a stand or electric hand mixer.
- Transfer the filling to a piping bag and pipe about a tablespoon of filling onto the flat side of one cookie. Place another cookie on top of the filling to create a sandwich.
- Repeat until all sandwiches are made. Add sprinkles around the sandwiches if you like.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: whoopie pies, whoopie pies recipe, whoopie pie recipe, best whoopie pie recipe
These are very pretty especially this coming valentines! This will be a hit! Gotta try this soon!
Wow! This looks really good and perfect for Valentine’s Day! We would love to try making these as giveaways to our friends. I am sure the kids would be thrilled. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
I am glad that you share this. I will do them with my daughters this weekend.
I absolutely love Whoopi pies anytime of the year but these are so cute with the heart shapes for this time of the year! My kids will go wild for these……. and my husband too 😉
Wow, this looks so pretty and perfect. I want to surprise my partner with this. I love that it is easy to make as well.
Awww, these are so cute. A nice wee treat for valentines’ day.
So cute, festive and delicious! My kids will go crazy over these whoopie pies!
The vanilla marshmallow cream filling sounds delicious. I might have to make these!
Its been ages since I’ve had a Whoopie Pie. Oh my!! I loved those as a kid. What a great recipe to make on the love day.
These look amazing and it doesn’t seem like it would be too hard to accomplish.
They turned out so cute! Perfect for the upcoming holiday, they sound fun to make too.
These pies look so pretty and tiny and perfect, I love the touch of pink for the cream too!
Wow! This is so cute and absolutely perfect for valentines day! This looks good too!
omg it’s been so long since i ate whoopie pies, and these are just so cute! hope to bake these soon 🙂
This is awesome. I’m making a list of cookies to bake this Valentine’s day. I will surely add it to my list.
I love the story and little history of this cookie. I`d surely say whoopie too if I can make it successfully.
These are so cute for Valentine’s Day and they look so tasty!
My husband would love this. I need to make it for him.
I love these! They are perfect for Valentine’s Day. I may make some of them with my daughters. I’m sure they’ll love it.
These are the cutest. I need to attempt to make these for Valentine’s Day!
What a perfect dessert for Valentine’s Day! I’ll have to make these. We all love chocolate.