This classic whoopie pies recipe is so good made of soft, fluffy chocolate cakes filled with vanilla marshmallow cream filling – the perfect treat for Valentine’s Day!
For the Whoopie Pie:
2/3 cup shortening
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
For the Filling:
2 cups shortening
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
4 cup marshmallow cream
2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Draw a heart shape on the back of a piece of parchment paper with a Sharpie marker.
- Place the parchment paper, drawing side down, on a baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together shortening and sugar for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and mix until fully combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, unsweetened cocoa powder, and salt.
- Slowly add half of the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture and mix. Then, add milk and vanilla extract and stir.
- Finally, add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Transfer the batter to a piping bag. Pipe the batter over the heart-shaped tracing on the parchment paper.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool.
- To make the filling, mix together all ingredients using a stand or electric hand mixer.
- Transfer the filling to a piping bag and pipe about a tablespoon of filling onto the flat side of one cookie. Place another cookie on top of the filling to create a sandwich.
- Repeat until all sandwiches are made. Add sprinkles around the sandwiches if you like.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: whoopie pies, whoopie pies recipe, whoopie pie recipe, best whoopie pie recipe