This tasty, easy chickpea salad recipe with lemon and parsley is so quick to put together! It makes a perfectly healthy side dish for your next BBQ cookout or a nice addition to any lunch or dinner this summer – or any time of the year!
I love having cookouts in the summer. It’s so nice to cook outside – in the fresh air rather than in a hot kitchen. I also love having family and friends over to eat outside. There is nothing quite as enjoyable as a summer evening dinner out in the warm, open air.
I have a lot of great grill recipes that I use all summer. From juicy burgers to marinated chicken, I have plenty of main course ideas. But when it comes to “cookout worthy” side dishes, I sometimes need to get a little creative. I get tired of the same old green lettuce salad and crave something new and exciting. The perfect cookout meal needs the perfect side dish!
The Amazing Chickpeas
I got into eating chickpeas recently and adding them to my list of favorite salad recipes, like my Penne Pasta Salad with Green Beans and Tomatoes, Spring Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Dressing and my Sweet Corn and Bean Quinoa Salad . Once you hear all about the benefits of chickpeas, I think you will want to add them to everything too!
Here are some interesting facts about chickpeas that are worth sharing!
- Chickpeas are small, peach colored legumes that are part of the pea family.
- They have a very subtle, nutty flavor.
- Chickpeas are super easy to use, especially when you buy them canned. All you need to do is drain the chickpeas, give them a good rinse and they are ready to eat or cook with!
- You can buy dry chickpeas, soak and boil them. However, the canned version is much more convenient and just as nutritionally beneficial.
Health Benefits of Chickpeas
Chickpeas are incredibly healthy. They are full of plant-based protein and fiber. Chickpeas are rich in B vitamins which play a vital role in maintaining energy levels and promoting cell health. Iron, zinc and phosphorous are also found in chickpeas. The little miracle legume can help control your blood sugar as well. I think chickpeas are a pretty powerful ingredient!
Easy Chickpea Salad
I wanted to make a summery chickpea salad recipe that would go with all of my cookout foods. In addition to using chickpeas, I also wanted to make an easy chickpea salad that required no cooking.
Here are the ingredients I chose to go into my healthy chickpea salad mix:
For the chickpeas veggie salad
- Chickpeas: I used canned chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans) since they are very easy to use and taste great. You can find them in your local grocery store near the canned beans.
- Parsley: Parsley reminds me of summer and gives the chickpea salad recipe and Italian flair. Use fresh basil or even cilantro.
- English Cucumber: I like English cucumbers because they have a thinner skin. You don’t even need to peel the cucumber, just chop and add to the salad bowl!
- Grape Tomatoes: Grape tomatoes are sweet and very summery. You can easily find grape tomatoes in the produce section or, if you’re very lucky, right in your backyard garden!
- Bell Pepper: Bell pepper adds a nice crunch to the healthy chickpea salad. They also have a brilliant, red color that is gorgeous on your plate.
For the salad dressing
- Olive Oil: Use extra virgin olive oil which has a smoother flavor
- Garlic: Fresh minced garlic will add a little spice and some serious flavor to the salad
- Lemon Juice and Zest: Fresh squeezed lemon juice and zest brightens the salad and gives it a nice zing.
- Cumin: Cumin gives the salad a smoky, slightly spicy flavor.
- Salt and pepper: These ingredients help bring out the flavor of the salad and should be added to taste.
How To Make Chickpea Salad
Putting together this delicious chickpea salad recipe is so simple, it only requires a few steps! You can make the whole side dish in under 30 minutes – giving you more time to focus on the food on your grill and extra time to socialize with your cookout guests!
Here is what you need to do:
- Whisk the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, cumin and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set the dressing aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a large bowl and toss everything together.
- Add he whisked dressing to the veggie bowl and toss, coating the salad evenly in the dressing.
That’s it! The salad is ready to serve or ready to chill in the fridge until cookout time.
Chickpea Salad Dressing
The salad dressing for my easy chickpea salad recipe is very simple and straightforward. Olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper are simply mixed together and the dressing is ready. You can whisk the dressing together or put the ingredients into a mason jar and give them a good shake. Here are a few alterations you can make to the dressing to make it suit your tastes even more:
- Blend the ingredients together with an avocado to make a healthy, creamy dressing.
- Add a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar in place of the lemon juice.
- Skip the cumin and add Italian seasoning instead
- Blend in some soft gorgonzola cheese to make a decadent, salty dressing
- Use white wine vinegar in place of lemon juice
This easy vegan chickpea salad is so versatile that it goes well with many different kinds of dressing. Switch the dressing anytime you make this easy chickpea salad and you’ll never grow tired of this delicious side dish!
Chickpea Salad Recipe FAQ’s
Here are a few quick questions and answers to help make this easy healthy chickpea salad even easier to make. If you still have questions about my delicious chickpea salad recipe, feel free to leave a comment below and I will be happy to answer them!
How do I store chickpea salad?
Wrap the bowl tightly or store the salad in an airtight container with a lid. Keep the salad refrigerated until you are ready to enjoy it!
How long does chickpea salad stay fresh?
Chickpea salad can be stores in the fridge for up to 5 days. The salad will actually benefit from marinating in the dressing for a few days, giving it a stronger flavor.
What veggies can I add to this chickpea salad?
If you want even more veggies in your salad, try adding avocado, sliced onions, sliced jalapenos, or even fresh sliced peaches. Any summer veggie will go well in this salad so get creative!
How big is a serving of chickpea salad?
One serving of this salad is about 1 ½ cups. This size may vary based on how large you chop your cucumbers and tomatoes but it is a good estimate for portion control.
I am definitely hooked on chickpeas and love this fresh, simple summer salad that features this healthy, tasty ingredient. I know it will be a favorite of yours as well. It really is the perfect summer side dish!
Give my tasty, easy vegan chickpea salad recipe a try and let me know what you think. Enjoy!Print
Easy Chickpea Salad
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour chill time
- Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
This easy chickpea salad recipe with lemon and parsley is so quick to put together and makes a perfect healthy side dish for your next BBQ cookout or a nice addition to any lunch or dinner any time of the year – not only in the summer!
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley. chopped
- 1 cup English cucumber, quartered and sliced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, quartered
- ⅔ cup bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, add the chickpeas, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, and bell peppers.
- In a small bowl, make the salad dressing by whisking together the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Add the salad dressing to the chickpea and veggie and toss gently to coat.
- Chill the chickpea salad for an hour before serving.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT HERE!
I have made this chickpea salad five times, it’s almost addictive. I never realized chickpeas were so good. I don’t care much for bell peppers so I buy the jarred roasted red peppers. Yum Yum!!
I also chop up an avocado and a shallot.
That’s the beauty of this salad, you can switch ingredients to suit your own taste. And finally as a bonus, chickpeas help stabilize blood sugar, I’m diabetic.
This sounds so fresh and delicious. I have been trying to eat healthier and this also seems like the perfect summer salad. Great for using garden veggies!
We love chickpeas! I would definitely try this one!
This looks so easy to make and delicious! I will definitely be giving this recipe a try!
My kids love chick peas. I haven’t had it in a salad like this before, so will definitely be trying this one. I love easy and healthy recipes.
This salad looks so delicious and simple to make. I love chickpeas!
I love chick peas! This was SO good, thanks for sharing!
This looks delicious. What a great recipe.
Easy chickpea salad looks delicious. I love these sald with vegetables and chickpeas filling and delicious
I love anything with chickpeas in it! They hold so much flavour depending on what you’re using them with.
This looks perfect for a summer party.
This looks easy to make. It’s been a while since I had chickpea salad so, this is perfect for our Sunday brunch. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Tasty, easy and nutritional, what a wonderful recipe and I do love to make it at home for my breakfast this weekend.
I love this salad recipe. So easy to make and really healthy too. Chickpeas are so nutritious. My doctor recommends to add it to my diet. Thank you for the recipe. I will be making this soon.
we love chickpea salad in our home…
This is an awesome salad recipe. Chickpeas are a delicious and healthy food to eat!
I am obsessed with this recipe as I love chick peas and a good salad like this utilizing them 😉 I am pinning this recipe to make for Fourth of July 😉
I don’t like cilantro. Is there another herb you would suggest?
I love chickpeas! This sounds like a perfect summer recipe.
I will have to pass along this recipe to my brother. He loves recipes like this.
Chickpeas are pretty fab and great for all sorts of dishes. They are so good in salads. This sounds yummy!!!
I can’t get enough of chickpea salad, it’s really my favorite food. The thought of the crunchy vegetables and creamy beans is getting me through this day at work!
I love chickpeas so much that I order them every time they’re on a menu. They have to be one of my absolute favorites – crispy veggies mixed in with smooth bland hummus are just perfect for any occasion, whether you want something light or heavier fare like meatballs.
This looks so yummy and for sure a healthy one!
Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I will try to make one some time soon!
Chickpeas and cucumbers are so delicious, I will love this salad.
I love chickpea salad and would always order it from my favorite restaurant. I’m glad that I can recreate it at home using your recipe.
By the way, I like that heart-shaped mixture of herbs and spices in the middle of the lemon juice and oil before it was mixed. I love how light the dressing is.
I love cooking outdoors too, it’s so fun to do, especially when the kids are waiting for their food
This looks so good. Definitely going to make this over the weekend.
This looks really good. I love chickpeas. They’re delicious. I will have to give this recipe a try too.
This looks like a tasty salad. I’ve always been a fan of chickpeas, so I’ll have to make it!
I get tired of the same old thing too. And chickpeas are awesome. Perfect for sprucing up a summer salad.
Booyah! I love all the flavors here, and the protein kick is excellent. I’ll definitely be making this.
If I could give this recipe more than five stars, I would. Chickpeas are my absolute favorite vegetable, so I can’t wait to make this.