This churro cupcakes recipe brings the taste of fairground fun to your kitchen with every bite! Enjoy moist and fluffy cupcakes topped with a creamy cinnamon cream cheese frosting that’s perfect for any occasion. Satisfy your sweet cravings with this delicious recipe that’s easy to make and will leave your taste buds wanting more!
If you love churros, then you’re going to love these churro cupcakes! These cupcakes are a delicious twist on the classic churro recipe, combining the flavors of cinnamon, cream cheese, and caramel sauce to create a dessert that’s perfect for any occasion.
I remember the first time I had churro cupcakes, like yesterday. I was visiting my sister in New York City, and we stopped by a local bakery to pick up some treats. As soon as I saw the churro cupcakes in the display case, I knew I had to try them. The cupcakes were light and fluffy, with a subtle cinnamon flavor that reminded me of freshly baked churros. The cream cheese frosting was tangy and sweet, and the caramel sauce drizzled on top added the perfect amount of richness. I was hooked from the first bite and knew I had to find a recipe to make them at home. Since then, churro cupcakes have become a staple in my baking repertoire, and they never fail to impress!
Ingredients and Kitchen Tools You’ll Need to Make Churro Cupcakes
You’ll require a few essential ingredients to whip up a batch of mouth-watering churro cupcakes. Here is a rundown of the primary ingredients you’ll need and their role in making these delectable churro cupcakes:
- White Cake Mix – This is the base of the cupcake batter and provides the structure and texture of the cupcakes.
- Ground Cinnamon – Adds the distinct cinnamon flavor that’s characteristic of churros.
- Eggs – Helps bind the ingredients together and add moisture to the cupcakes.
- Vegetable Oil – Adds moisture and richness to the cupcakes.
- Heavy Cream – Provides richness and creaminess to the cupcake batter, resulting in a moist and tender crumb.
- Cream Cheese Frosting – This frosting is tangy and slightly sweet, which complements the cinnamon flavor in the cupcakes.
- Cream Cheese – Adds richness and tanginess to the frosting, which helps balance the sweetness.
- Cinnamon Sugar – This mixture of cinnamon and sugar is sprinkled on top of the frosting, adding sweetness and more cinnamon flavor to the cupcakes.
- Caramel Sauce – This optional garnish adds an extra layer of sweetness and richness to the cupcakes.
- Chopped Churro – This optional garnish adds texture and even more churro flavor to the cupcakes.
To make churros cupcakes, you’ll need essential kitchen tools, including:
- Muffin baking pans
- Cupcake liners
- Mixing bowls
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- A cookie scoop or spoon to portion batter into cupcake liners
- Measuring tools
- Mixing tools
- Piping bag fitted with a 1M Wilton piping tip (or any similar piping tip)
- Sprinkle shaker or a small strainer to sprinkle the cinnamon sugar
- A cooling rack, if desired
How to Make Churro Cupcakes
Learn how to make delicious churro cupcakes with this easy-to-follow, step-by-step recipe!
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F and line two muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix and cinnamon until they are well combined.
3. Use a hand or stand mixer to beat the eggs, oil, and heavy cream until you have a thick, smooth batter.
4. Evenly scoop the batter into the cupcake liners, filling each about ⅔ full.
5. Bake for 19-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before decorating.
7. While your cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting by beating together the cream cheese frosting, cream cheese, and the remaining 1 tablespoon of cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
8. Use a piping bag fitted with a 1M Wilton or similarly sized piping tip to pipe the frosting onto each cooled cupcake.
9. Once you’ve piped the frosting onto your cupcakes, sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar and repeat with all remaining cupcakes.
10. To finish off your churro cupcakes, garnish them with chopped churros and drizzle with caramel sauce (optional). Serve and enjoy!
Substitutions and Flavor Variations for Making Churro Cupcakes
When making churro cupcakes, the frosting is just as important as the cupcake itself. While cream cheese frosting is the classic choice, there are plenty of other frosting flavors you can experiment with to make your cupcakes stand out. This section will explore different frosting options and tips on ingredient substitutions, such as vegetable oil, heavy cream, cream cheese, and cinnamon sugar.
- White cake mix: You can substitute white cake mix with a yellow cake mix or vanilla cake mix to create a similar base. For a more spiced flavor, consider using a spice cake mix instead.
- Frosting: Although cream cheese frosting is the classic choice for Churro Cupcakes, you can get creative and try different frosting flavors. For instance, a cinnamon buttercream or caramel frosting would complement the other flavors beautifully. If you’re feeling adventurous, switch things up and try a chocolate frosting instead of cream cheese frosting, as chocolate and churros make an excellent combination.
- Vegetable oil: If you don’t have vegetable oil on hand, you can swap it out for any neutral-flavored oil, such as canola oil, avocado oil, or even coconut oil, which may add a subtle flavor but won’t be too noticeable.
- Heavy cream: You can use whole milk or half and half instead of heavy cream. Keep in mind that using water will result in cupcakes that are less moist and rich.
- Cream cheese: For a lower-fat option, neufchâtel cheese can be used instead of cream cheese, but keep in mind that the texture and flavor may differ.
- Cinnamon sugar: Cinnamon sugar can typically be found in the spice section of your local grocery store. However, you can also make your own by mixing granulated white sugar and cinnamon.
You can customize this recipe in several ways to suit your taste preferences. Here are a few ideas:
- Add some spice: To add heat to these cupcakes, try incorporating cayenne pepper or chipotle powder into the batter or frosting. The combination of sweet and spicy is common in some Hispanic dishes.
- Add some flavor: Add vanilla, almond, or lemon zest to the batter to give the cupcakes some extra flavor.
- Add some nuts: Chopped pecans or walnuts make great additions to the cupcake batter or as a topping on the frosting for some added crunch. These flavors also pair well with the churro taste.
- Add some fruit: Add diced apples, cranberries, or pineapple into the cupcakes, or add some fruit puree like strawberry puree into the batter or frosting for a fruity twist.
- Make it vegan: To make this recipe vegan-friendly, use flax eggs instead of regular eggs and swap out the heavy cream and cream cheese with non-dairy alternatives such as coconut cream, vegan cream cheese, and vegan butter.
- Make it chocolatey: Add some cocoa powder or chocolate chips to the batter or top the frosted cupcakes with chocolate shavings or ganache to make them more chocolatey.
How to Store Churro Cupcakes
- The best way to store churro cupcakes is in an airtight container in the refrigerator, keeping them fresh for 3-5 days.
- While you can store the cupcakes with or without the frosting, storing them separately is recommended to prevent the frosting from weeping and the churro from becoming soggy or dry.
- If you’ve drizzled caramel on the cupcakes, store them on a plate or tray to prevent the caramel from getting on your fridge shelves.
- When you’re ready to serve the cupcakes, remove them from the fridge and let them sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes to enhance the flavors and texture.
- If you want to freeze the cupcakes, do so before decorating them. Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, place them in an airtight container or resealable freezer bag and freeze them for up to 3 months.
- To thaw the cupcakes, let them sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before frosting and serving.
So there you have it, a fun and delicious recipe for churro cupcakes that you can easily make at home. With a few simple ingredients and some creativity, you can put your own spin on these cupcakes and create something truly special. So go ahead and give this recipe a try – I guarantee it will become a favorite in no time!
MORE DELICIOUS DESSERTS TO TRY!
I hope you like this churro cupcakes recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Hip Mama’s Place on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter!
This post may contain affiliate links. Hip Mama’s Place is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising revenues by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and other retailers- at zero cost to you. You can learn more about our Privacy and Disclosure Policies HERE.Print
Enjoy moist and fluffy Churro Cupcakes topped with a creamy cinnamon cream cheese frosting that’s perfect for any occasion. Satisfy your sweet cravings with this delicious churro cupcakes recipe that’s easy to make and will leave your taste buds wanting more!
For the Cupcakes:
1 (15.25 ounce) box of white cake mix
1 ½ Tablespoons ground cinnamon
3 large eggs
½ cup vegetable oil
1 ¼ cup heavy cream
For the Frosting:
1 (16-ounce) tub of cream cheese frosting, room temperature
1 (8-ounce) package of cream cheese, room temperature
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup cinnamon sugar
Caramel sauce, optional garnish
Chopped churro, optional garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line two muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix and cinnamon until they are well combined.
- Use a hand or stand mixer to beat in the eggs, oil, and heavy cream until you have a thick, smooth batter.
- Evenly scoop the batter into the cupcake liners, filling each about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 19-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before decorating.
- While your cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting by beating together the cream cheese frosting, cream cheese, and the remaining 1 tablespoon of cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Use a piping bag fitted with a 1M Wilton or similarly sized piping tip to pipe the frosting onto each cooled cupcake.
- Once you’ve piped the frosting onto your cupcakes, sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar and repeat with all remaining cupcakes.
- To finish off your churro cupcakes, garnish them with chopped churros and drizzle with caramel sauce (optional). Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Desserts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: churro cupcakes, cupcakes, Cinco de Mayo, recipes, desserts