A classic casserole dish made with chicken, broccoli and cheddar cheese, this easy Chicken Divan recipe is both delicious and satisfying. It will sure to become your family’s go-to dinner dish!
I have a few recipes that I make for my family all the time. I love making easy weeknight dinners and dishes that I know everyone in my family will eat. They are my go-to’s, my dinner winners, my “specialties”. Everyone has a few of these kinds of recipes up their sleeves.
This recipe for Chicken Divan is one of my family’s go-to dinner choice and is definitely on my top ten dinners to make often. Now, I want to share my amazing chicken recipe with you so that you and your family can also enjoy it as often as we do! Get ready to add another tried and true recipe to your list of weeknight favorites: my easy and the best Chicken Divan!
A LITTLE CHICKEN DIVAN HISTORY
But first, where did chicken divan originate from or how did it get its name?
Chicken Divan is a chicken casserole usually served with broccoli and Mornay sauce and was created by Chef Anthony Lagasi at at the Divan Parisien Restaurant in the New York City Chatham Hotel. It was the restaurant’s signature dish in the early twentieth century. The long defunct restaurant and hotel was formerly located at 33 East 48th Street in New York City.
In French, the word divan refers to a meeting place or great hall.
A Parisian chicken dish that made a restaurant famous? Sounds fancy….but the secret is, it is not fancy or hard to make at all!
Chicken Divan is essentially a casserole. It is a big pan of creamy chicken and broccoli that is covered in crunchy breadcrumbs and melted cheese. Sounds pretty amazing, right?! Well, it is! Who doesn’t love cheesy chicken?! Even my families most picky eater will devour this dish which is why I love to make it. When I have chicken divan in the oven, everyone is happy and excited for dinner.
HOW TO MAKE EASY CHICKEN DIVAN
So how do you make such a crowd pleasing meal? Making Chicken Divan is super easy!
It all starts with cooking the broccoli. My recipe uses fresh chopped broccoli florets and I steam them in some boiling water to get them a little soft. While the broccoli is cooking, I mix together cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, onion powder and black pepper.
Cooked chopped chicken and the steamed broccoli are then tossed in the may mix and poured into a greased 9×13 casserole dish.
The mix is topped with breadcrumbs and shredded cheese and then baked. Then, all you need to do is wait! Once the breadcrumbs start to turn a golden brown and the cheese has melted, the chicken Divan is ready to eat. Scoop a big slice onto a plate and you can start enjoying the chicken right away while it is still smoking hot.
TIPS FOR MAKING CHICKEN DIVAN
After making this dish a few hundred times, here is what I have discovered:
- If you do not have fresh broccoli, frozen broccoli will work perfectly. You can even steam the broccoli right in the microwave. That is one less pot to wash!
- Use shredded rotisserie chicken in place of regular chopped chicken to get some extra flavor and also give you one less thing to cook.
- Italian seasoned breadcrumbs taste great with this casserole while panko breadcrumbs add an extra crunch. Both breadcrumbs work wonderfully!
- Use a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of chicken. This will give the casserole a more earthy flavor and also add some tasty mushrooms to the dish.
- Add corn, peas or even steamed, chopped asparagus to the casserole for more veggies. You can really toss in any of your family’s favorite vegetables to give the casserole more nutrition and interest.
As you can see, the recipe is flexible and can be customized to suit your families preferences. However, it is also perfect and delicious just as it is written. My family has approved of my chicken divan for years! And that is exactly why I am going to go whip up a tray of this casserole right now. It is the perfect, anytime dinner! I know that you and your family will love it too and it is sure to become one of your go-to meals. So, give the recipe a try today and let me know what you think. When you place the casserole on the table, be sure to mention that it is a big city, restaurant-famous meal…how did you make such a fancy meal so fast?! EnjoyPrint
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli, cut into pieces and cooked
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup breadcrumbs or Panko
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Lightly coat a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray
- Cut broccoli and add to large pot of boiling water
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until slightly tender
- Drain well
- In a large bowl combine soup, mayonnaise, onion powder and black pepper
- Stir in cooked chicken and broccoli until well combined
- Spread into prepared baking dish
- Sprinkle cheese on top evenly
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and butter, then spread evenly over cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown
- Serve immediately