Here’s the ultimate guide and step-by-step tutorial on how to make your own DIY scarecrow painted mason jars – a wonderful addition to your fall or Halloween decor!
I’m so excited because today, I’m sharing with you my newest DIY fall craft tutorial: scarecrow mason jars!
You know, fall always feels like the beginning of crafting season. While I love being outside all summer long (and through the fall), there is something about the cooler weather that makes me feel like it’s okay to stay inside and make some crafts.
There are also so many cute, fun fall crafts to make! From basic fall décor to Halloween and mason jar crafts, like my DIY candy corn mason jars… I love making them all!
I have been super busy with work and family lately, but I specifically set aside time to make these cute scarecrow mason jars. Crafting always helps me relax and these super cute scarecrow mason jars are simply adorable! They will make a great gift or centerpiece this fall season. I love a simple centerpiece and this is such a fun craft to do with the kiddos too, or even have your friends over and make cute centerpieces for them to take home.
These DIY mason jar scarecrows make the perfect addition to your Halloween and fall décor and you can use them in many ways (more on that later!)… and the best part? They’re super fun and so easy to make!
Sooo.. get your mason jars out and follow me along as I show you how to make these adorable scarecrow mason jars!
What You’ll Need To Make DIY Scarecrow Mason Jars
You don’t need too many tools to make this scarecrow mason jar diy craft. You can get everything you need from your local craft store but there’s a good chance you already have a lot of the tools at home. I bet many of you have mason jars laying around!
Here is exactly what you will need to make these three adorable diy scarecrow mason jars:
- three (3) one quart sized mason jars
- acrylic paints in yellow, orange, gray, white and pink
- a pencil
- a paint marker or black sharpie
- a few small paint brushes
- a hot glue gun
- fall colored ribbon
- faux flowers in fall colors
Once you have gathered all your supplies, it’s time for the fun to begin! You are going to have three adorable scarecrow mason jars in just a matter of minutes.
How to Make DIY Scarecrow Mason Jars
It’s time to dive in and get crafting! Follow along as we begin this diy scarecrow mason jar craft!
1. Start by painting the mason jars. One will be yellow, one gray and one orange. You may want to let the paint dry and do a second coat of paint to really color the jar.
2. Next,, draw faces on each mason jar. Once the paint has dried, use the black paint marker or sharpie to draw silly, happy faces on each jar. The faces do not need to be complex. The simpler, the better! Look at my jars for examples of easy, cute scarecrow faces. I like to make the faces first in pencil and then trace over them with the paint marker. If I make a mistake with the pencil, it is easy to erase and start again.
3. Highlight the scarecrows face by adding a touch of pink to the cheeks. This little detail will really take your homemade fall crafts to the next level. They will look professionally designed for sure!
4. Embellish the mason jars. Attach the fall colored ribbon around the top of the mason jar using the hot glue. Add a piece of rattan around a jar or two to make them each unique. Hot glue a faux flower to the top as well. Once the hot glue is dry, you are ready to display your fall mason jars. Now, wasn’t that easy?!
Tips and Tricks for making DIY Scarecrow Mason Jars
After making these charming mason jar scarecrows, I have a few tips and tricks that I know will help you make them perfectly on your first try. Here are my little pieces of crafting advice:
- Use cupcake liners to hold your paint. They will keep the paint colors separate and are super easy to clean up (just throw them away!).
- Chalk paint will work in place of acrylic paint and it will give your scarecrows an even more rustic, fall look.
- Screw the top on the Mason jar, glue rattan to the top and then glue three cinnamon sticks in the center. This will look just like a pumpkin stem!
- Dark color paint pens work really well for drawing the face. They come out easily and the lines look nice and dark.
- Check your local dollar store for ribbon. They usually have good choices that won’t break the bank. They often have off-brand mason jars that you can use to craft with, too! Michaels and Hobby Lobby also have similar ribbon and jars but may cost a little more. You can usually find a coupon online if you do a quick search!
If you come up with any great tricks when you make these fall mason jars, let us all know! I always love a new crafting tip.
How to Use Your Scarecrow Mason Jars
There are so many ways to use and display these DIY Halloween mason jars. Here are a few ideas about how you can show off your new beautiful diy scarecrow mason jar craft!
- Place them on your fireplace mantel or with your Halloween display.
- Put them on your desk to hold pencils, scissors and pens
- Put a tea candle in the jar and use it as a pretty lantern.
- Give the scarecrow mason jars as gifts to your kids teachers. Teachers always appreciate a little gift to show that you are thinking of them!
- Give them as a hostess gift for any Halloween parties you attend. A homemade gift will show your appreciation for sure!
- Fil them will small candies and put them on your dessert table for a Halloween party.
We all may be feeling a little busy these days- it is a busy time of year! However, it is important to take a minute to yourself and do something you enjoy. I definitely enjoyed making these delightful scarecrow mason jars and I know you will too. They are sitting on my desk right now, putting a smile on my face!
Send me a photo of your cute scarecrow mason jar diy too, if you decide to make them and tag me on Instagram @hipmamasplace! I would love to see what you create!
Happy fall, y’all! 🙂
*This post contain affiliate links. See my Disclosure Policy for more details. All images on this post are owned and copyrighted by Hip Mama’s Place. Do not use without permission from the editor.
Thanks you for sharing a great idea and a way to get rid of the jars just hanging in my kitchen. I would love to introduce this to the kids
I love your creations! These are absolutely amazing. I love the colors
These are some of the cutest mason jars I’ve seen! I so want to try making some for my kids.
These turned out so cute! I love how you can emellish them and make them all different.
Those are adorable!!! I need a class, to learn how to make those cute faces. 🙂
These turned out so cute. I love them.
These are the cutest fall craft idea. My girls are going to love making them.
These are the cutest fall craft idea. My girls are going to love making them.
Such a cute way to use mason jars! We always seem to have extras around our house.
Love how cute these looks. A great activity to do at home.
Probably the cutest scarecrow that I have ever seen.
These are so cute! I’ll certainly be making something like this for round the house all year round, not just for Halloween.
These turned out so cute!
Although I do not celebrate Halloween anymore, I find these mason jars so cute!
Thats such a great idea! Love this so much! Will try this with my daughter
Those scarecrows are too cute. They don’t look scary at all. It’ll be fun to do these with my kids.
I love this DIY Scarecrow Mason Jar! So cute! It’s perfect for the holidays!
The cutest scarecrow mason jar craft! It is perfect for Halloween! And it’s easy to make which is perfect for not-so-crafty me.
Scarecrow mason jars looks really beautiful I would love to try to make with kids.
Omg these are the cutest! I am in love with that yellow one particularly.
These are so cute! I don’t know that I could do as good of a job as you did with the drawing. I love Mason jars and this would be fun with my teens.
so very cute! and i have enough mason jars to do this..
Those are so cute, especially the faces are so lovely
These are so cute, thank you for sharing. I will be trying this with the grandkids for sure!!
These are super cute. They are such a great idea. My son would enjoy making these.
Oh how cute! My toddler and I have some crafts to do! I’m so excited!
This looks like such a fun fall craft! I am going to keep it in mind to maybe do with my son! Thanks for the idea!
What an adorable idea! I’ll have to have my daughter help with this.
These are SO stinkin’ cute!!! My parents are visiting soon, this will be a fun project our kids will love doing with them. Thank you for the inspiration!!!
These are really creative and will be so much fun to do with the kids
These are SOOOO Adorable. I just love them and this idea. Thank you for this fun fall craft idea.
Pinning these. So cute, and perfect for my students to make at school.
These are so cute… I’m saving this post so I can make these with my son.
So cute.. It would be fun to have my jars designed like this even after the Halloween. Hehe
OMG! these are sooo cute. It`s a perfect activity for my Halloween themed class
These are the absolute CUTEST! Cant wait to make them for my kiddos.
These jars are the cutest. I will have to make these soon.
These are really awesome decorations/crafts to make for Halloween. A fun family activity for sure and super creative!
These are cute! I will have to make some of these with my kids.
What a great Fall craft, perfect for showcasing later next month on Halloween!
These scarecrow jars are adorable! I was just thinking I need a project for my kids to work on next week when they are out of school for fall break. We have so many jars in the kitchen, they could each make a few of these to decorate for fall around the house.
They look so cute. Looks like fun to make them.