You’ll love this Halloween Muddy Buddies (also known as Puppy Chow) snack mix recipe! It’s a real delight and a must have this Halloween season! Salty, sweet, chewy and crunchy and you can add any Halloween favorite candy to suit your taste!
Holidays give us all something to celebrate. They are a perfect way to break up any mundane weekly routine. No matter the holiday, I always try to get in the spirit by decorating my house, baking themed treats and even finding fun holiday music to help set the mood.
With Halloween fast approaching, you bet that I have been making my house into the Halloween headquarters! We have decorations, spooky music and, now, it’s time to get baking! We need some perfect Halloween themed foods to make the Halloween scene complete.
HALLOWEEN MUDDY BUDDIES
While I plan to have all sorts of Halloween foods on the 31st, I also wanted to make something that my family and I can snack on in the day’s leading up to Halloween. After all, making the holiday last more than just one day is important! We want weeks of celebrating! So we needed a snack that was Halloween themed to start enjoying right away. That is when I thought of making Halloween puppy chow or Halloween muddy buddies– two names for the same delicious, addicting snack.
Why You’ll Love It
I first tried muddy buddies at a friend’s Halloween party (maybe that is why I associate this treat with this holiday!). It was in a big bowl on the buffet table and it was disappearing quickly- everyone was loving it! Naturally, I had to create my own version of this super popular treat. So this year, I will continue that Halloween tradition and whip up a huge batch of my Halloween Puppy chow. And, yes, I have to make a “huge batch” as my kids devour it as soon as I make it!
Here are a few reasons you’ll love it too:
- Easy – You literally add everything to a bowl and mix it up!
- Creative – You can add all your favorite candies and toppings.
- Feeds A Crowd – This recipe makes a huge bowl that will quickly disappear.
HOW TO MAKE HALLOWEEN MUDDY BUDDIES
Luckily, it is very easy to make my Halloween puppy chow recipe. Here are the steps and some pictures of each one, so you can see how I made this spooky snack. All of the steps are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
1. Add Chex ceral to a large bowl. It all starts with rice Chex mix cereal in a big bowl. Make sure the bowl is not overflowing as you will be mixing all the ingredients in this bowl and want room to toss them easily.
2. Melt the chocolate coating. In a separate small bowl, chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter are melted together and stirred to make a smooth, delicious mixture.
3. Coat the cereal. While the chocolate peanut butter mix is soft and warm, pour it over the rice cereal and toss quickly, coating the cereal completely in the chocolate. Work fast as it is easier to mix when the chocolate is still warm!
4. Toss with powdered sugar. Once the cereal is nice and chocolatey, it is tossed in a Ziploc bag with some powdered sugar. Extra sugar never hurt anyone! I like to shake the cereal and sugar together in a zippered bag as it coats the cereal more evenly. However, you can just add the powdered sugar to your large bowl and mix everything together there too. Both methods work well!
Halloween Muddy Buddy Toppings
The “muddy buddy” part of the snack is complete! Now, to add the extras. Here is what I added to my snack mix:
- Mini peanut butter cups
- Black and orange chocolate candies (Halloween M&M’s work great!)
- Spooky candy eyeballs
- Candy corn in my mix
I love this combination of Halloween themed candies because it looks great and also has a nice blend of chocolate and fruity sweetness. Those candy eyeballs are an especially nice touch! You can switch up the mix-ins based on your personal preferences and what Halloween candy your local store has in stock. Just keep in mind that this is meant to be an easy-to-eat, bite sized snack so small candies are best.
How To Store Muddy Buddies
This is the perfect Halloween snack to make ahead of time! Store extras in an airtight container or bag and keep them in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for up to three days.
Easy Homemade Halloween Snack
That is all it takes to make this perfect Halloween themed snack! Pretty easy, right? It really only takes about 5 to ten minutes to put this festive treat together and it will really help you get in the Halloween spirit.
Put together a big batch today and you are sure to be feeling the Halloween season right away! In fact, Halloween muddy buddies should probably be part of your annual Halloween ritual- it is in our house! Make a batch for a Halloween party, to hand out to trick-or-treaters in small baggies or just to enjoy yourself. We all need a reason to celebrate and this month, Halloween is our reason!
MORE FUN AND YUMMY HALLOWEEN RECIPES TO TRY!
- Hocus Pocus Fudge – Easy White Chocolate Fudge Recipe
- Spooky Halloween Monster Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Halloween Monster Popcorn Balls
- Vampire Blood Drink – Kid-Friendly Halloween Drink
Halloween Muddy Buddies (also known as Puppy Chow) snack mix is a real Halloween delight – salty, sweet, chewy and crunchy!
*For the Muddy Buddies
- 6 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 1 cup chocolate chips, semi-sweet or milk chocolate
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- *For the Snack Mix
- ½ cup mini peanut butter cups
- ½ cup orange and black chocolate candy
- ½ cup candy eyes
- ½ cup candy corn
- Add cereal to large bowl
- In a small microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter
- Heat for 1 minute, and stir to combine until completely melted
- Pour chocolate mixture over cereal
- Stir to coat completely
- Add powdered sugar to large resealable bag
- Add cereal mixture to powdered sugar
- Seal the bag and toss to coat completely
- Remove from bag and pour into large bowl
- Add ingredients for snack mix and stir to combine
- Store in an airtight container
You can add any other candy you would like to this Halloween puppy chow recipe.