Fun and spooky-cute for Halloween, these tasty Monster Popcorn Balls will delight trick-or-treaters of all ages! This classic popcorn balls recipe has the same great classic taste but adding some fun Halloween colors and a few candy eyes make them perfect for your Halloween celebrations!
Halloween is almost here and I’m excited to bring you my newest Halloween treat recipe – Monster Popcorn Balls!
Everyone in my family loves popcorn. Whether it be family movie night or game day, you can usually find a big bowl of popcorn on our table!
Halloween Popcorn Balls
Sometimes, I like to take our favorite salty snack and turn it into a sweet and salty treat. Popcorn balls were one of my kids’ favorite, fun snack or desserts when they were growing up and they still ask for them occasionally. I’m always happy to whip up a batch because not only are they delicious, but they’re also pretty easy to make!
Monster popcorn balls have always been a tradition on Halloween. The popcorn balls I make for Halloween have the same great classic taste, but I add some fun with Halloween colors and a few candy eyes. These simple tweaks will bring this classic popcorn recipe up a few notches and make it perfect for Halloween night.
Ingredients for Popcorn Balls
Whenever I start planning to make a new recipe, I always look at the ingredients first. Not only does this help me know if I have everything I need, but it also gives me a clue as to whether or not my family and I will like the recipe. Marshmallows, brown sugar and popcorn go into these popcorn balls so with just one quick look, I already know it will be a huge hit in my household!
Here are the other ingredients you will need to make Halloween popcorn balls:
- popped popcorn- You can buy pre-popped popcorn or make it yourself. There are around 12 cups of popped popcorn in a microwave bag so you should just need one. I like to use extra butter popcorn to get the most flavor possible. Kettle corn or plain salted popcorn will work as well.
- mini marshmallows– I like to use mini marshmallow because they melt quickly. The melted marshmallows will be the glue that holds the popcorn balls together.
- brown sugar and white sugar– You want your popcorn balls to be sweet! Caramelized sugar helps sweeten the popcorn balls and also make them firm enough to hold their shape.
- butter– Butter helps the marshmallows and sugar melt and adds a creamy, rich taste.
- salt and vanilla– Both salt and vanilla extract enhance the flavors of the popcorn balls.
- food coloring– This is how the popcorn balls become perfectly themed for halloween!
- candy eyeballs and Halloween sprinkles– The more candy halloween decor you can add, the better!
Once you have checked all the ingredients off your list, it’s time to get out all your cooking supplies. To make this recipe, you will need three mixing bowls, wax paper, a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, and a large saucepan.
How to Make Popcorn Balls for Halloween
If you have ever made rice krispie treats, then you pretty much already know how to make popcorn balls. If this is your first time making melty, marshmallow treats, don’t worry- it’s pretty easy! Here is how to make my Halloween popcorn ball recipe:
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan then add the mini marshmallows, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Stir constantly to melt the marshmallows completely.
3. Add the food coloring to each bowl, dying the marshmallow mix in each bowl a separate color.
4. Add 4 cups of popped popcorn to each bowl and stir, coating the popcorn in every bowl completely with the dyed marshmallow.
5. Wet your hands a little bit and then grab a scoop of popcorn. Roll it into a ball using your hands. A little water on your hands will prevent the popcorn from sticking to your hands.
6. Place the rolled balls on a wax paper lined tray to cool.
7. Add the Halloween sprinkles and candy eyeballs to the popcorn balls. You can either roll the balls in the sprinkles or just shake the sprinkles over each ball- the balls are stick enough that the sprinkles will adhere easily.
Once your popcorn balls are completed, they are immediately ready to eat! You can also store them in a large airtight container for about a week at room temperature. This is definitely a Halloween treat that you can make ahead of time. You can also double or triple the batch to make enough for a big party!
Tips and Variations for Monster Popcorn Balls
Want to make sure you make perfect popcorn balls the very first time? Then definitely be sure to read these tips. I have made popcorn balls a lot and have found the easiest way to put them together.
- Buy pre-made popcorn to save time.
- Use large bowls for dying the marshmallow and mixing in the popcorn. Larger bowls make it easier to toss the popcorn and really coat it fully in the marshmallow mix.
- Large marshmallows will work but the minis melt faster.
- Once the popcorn balls are done, individually wrap them in plastic wrap and they will keep for up to a week. This also makes them easy to grab and go or pack as a lunchbox treat.
- Be sure to spray your hands with a little water before rolling the popcorn balls. It really helps to prevent the marshmallows from sticking to your hands.
In addition to these little tips, I also wanted to share a few quick variations I have tried that make this recipe even more special.
- Mix the popcorn in the marshmallows mix and then toss in a few mini chocolate chips. Add the chocolate chips right before you roll the balls so they don’t melt from the heat of the marshmallows (although a little melting can be yummy!)
- Mix in some candy corn, adding about 1 cup of candy corn after you stir the popcorn into the marshmallow mix.
- Buy some plastic vampire teeth and form the popcorn ball around the teeth. It will look like your snack is trying to bite you!
- Stick a Halloween paper straw in the popcorn ball to make a Monster popcorn ball pop.
Give these monster popcorn balls a try this Halloween season. They are such a fun treat that you and your family can enjoy all throughout October. They will definitely get you in the mood for Halloween while also satisfying any cravings for sweet or salty foods. Enjoy!
Try these other delicious dessert recipes!
- No-Bake Spiderweb Cheesecake
- Pumpkin S’mores Cheesecake Bars
- Spooky Halloween Monster Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Hocus Pocus Fudge – Easy White Chocolate Fudge Recipe
I hope you like this recipe for Monster Popcorn Balls – be sure to give it a review below!Print
Fun and spooky cute for Halloween, these tasty Monster Popcorn Balls will delight trick-or-treaters of all ages! This classic popcorn balls recipe has the same great classic taste but adding some fun Halloween colors and a few candy eyes make them perfect for your Halloween celebrations!
12 cups Popped Popcorn
10 oz. bag mini marshmallows
1 cup brown sugar
1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
1⁄2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Food coloring- purple- green- orange
1. In large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, mini marshmallows, brown sugar, granulated
sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Heat and stir frequently until the marshmallows have completely
melted, and the mixture comes to a boil.
2. In 3 separate large mixing bowls carefully pour marshmallow mixture evenly into bowls.
3. Add in food coloring gel of your choice, about 3 drops to each bowl.
4. Add in 4 cups of popped popcorn to each bowl and stir, making sure all popcorn is completely
5. Lightly coat hands in water to avoid popcorn sticking to hands. Grab a spoonful of each color of
popcorn and form a ball in hands.
6. Place on a sheet of wax paper and allow to cool.
7. Add sprinkles and candy eyes to popcorn balls.
- Category: Desserts
- Cuisine: American