- Bring your camera down to your kids level, height-wise, to avoid making children look even smaller.
- When a great family moment happens, like a grandparent reading to a child, don’t ask them to stop and smile for a photo. Instead, zoom in from a distance and let the magic continue.
- Get a natural group shot by having the family just hang out. Start shooting candid shots immediately. Have a few gags up your sleeve, like getting everyone to jump in the air at once.
- Find a place with even lighting. Don’t shoot in direct sunlight. The best spots are outside where the sun is behind you yet not backlighting you.
- Converting to black and white makes an ordinary shot timeless. Have people wear strong dark colors and whites, which translate best in black and white.
And to help your family ready for your close-up, here are fantastic deals Gymboree and Shutterfly are offering right now!
*Today only, 3/25/15, you can get FREE shipping on ALL orders at Gymboree – no minimum and no coupon code is needed! Check out their $14.99 or Under Sale with tons of great deals on dresses, tops, shorts, and more just perfect to transition into Spring and summer! Note that online price reflects the discount. Also, starting today through April 5th, you’ll receive a coupon for 20% off your next purchase whenever you make ANY purchase online or at a retail store. The coupon will be redeemable April 6th-19th, valid online or in stores (excluding Gymboree Outlet or Play & Music locations). What a fantastic deal idea!
*Also, for any Gymboree purchase online or in-store now thru 4/15, you’ll score a FREE $20 gift from Shutterfly! You will get a promotion card containing a unique code for $20 gift with any Gymboree purchase online or in store, while supplies last. Offer expires June 30, 2015 (11:59 P.M. PT). Offer is good for a one-time $20 credit towards a purchase of $20 or more (after any other discounts and before taxes, shipping and handling) through shutterfly.com. To redeem, you must have or create a Shutterfly account and enter the code in your account. The award card is not redeemable for cash and cannot be transferred to another Shutterfly account or combined with other offers, discounts, promotions or credits. This should be perfect for sprucing up your walls with new canvas prints, framed photo prints, get some cute new pillows, throws, or to use towards getting someone a personalized birthday or Mother’s Day gift, or simply to use towards printing some of your favorite photos- the possibilities are endless!
* Want to have a chance to win a $500 Gymboree gift card plus a $500 credit to Shutterfly? Use Nigel Barker’s pro photo tips for a family photo shoot, then share your snaps with hashtag #PicturePerfectSpring! Go here to enter the sweepstakes and for more details.