This easy baked spaghetti is a delicious, comforting dish made with ground beef, marinara sauce, and other simple ingredients. The mozzarella and cottage cheese gives this dish the tastiest top cheese layer baked to golden perfection! It’s one of our family’s favorite pasta dish recipes and I’m sure it will become yours too!
Happy New Year everyone! I hope everyone is as excited as I am to dive into 2022. I have some big goals for myself this year and I plan on getting started right away! Do you have any big ambitions for 2022?
One thing I want to do is make sure that 2022 is full of delicious, exciting foods. After all the decadent Christmas and New Year’s food, I want to keep that trend going and push myself to make flavorful dishes everyday.
Luckily, today is National Spaghetti Day and I am so ready to celebrate!
I plan on celebrating every food holiday throughout 2022 .. who’s with me?!!
A Little History of Spaghetti
Many people think of pasta as a true Italian food. However, the earliest known pastas were made with rice flour and originated in the east. We may have to thank China, rather than Italy, for first inventing our favorite food!
We do know that the Italians were the first creators of wheat pasta. There are many manuscripts from the 11th century that mention long sheets of dough being rolled and cut into pasta shapes. Long strands of pasta, now known as spaghetti, made their way into Italian cuisine during the 14th century. Spaghetti was standard fare on many sailing ships due to its universal appeal and ability to be stored and quickly cooked. Since spaghetti was on board so many ships, it was quickly introduced to almost every corner of the world.
Once spaghetti was paired with pasta sauce in the 18th century, the popularity of the dish grew even more! Pasta factories began springing up across Italy to keep up with the demand for the long noodles and the love for spaghetti has continued on since then. Now, we even have a National Spaghetti Day on January 4th to celebrate this incredible food. I am ready to dive into a bowl of spaghetti myself!
Easy Baked Spaghetti Recipe
We love pasta dishes in our house. My hubby and kids absolutely love my Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with Spinach and Sausage and my Easy Oven Baked Gnocchi recipes I might just be making them again this week! 🙂
But today, I wanted to showcase one of my favorite spaghetti dishes not only because today is National Spaghetti Day, but it’s also because I want to share with you one of my family’s favorite pasta dishes. This easy baked spaghetti is so delicious and any meal that gets the entire family’s approval is a total winner in my book!
My baked spaghetti is almost similar to a spaghetti lasagna. Layers of saucy spaghetti and cheese are piled into a casserole dish and baked until bubbly. However, rather than use ricotta cheese, I use cottage cheese in my baked spaghetti which gives the dish a modern and tastier twist. So now… let me tell you all about it!
Ingredients and Tools for Making Baked Spaghetti
My cheesy baked spaghetti uses mostly Italian ingredients. Sticking to the classic is sometimes the way to go!
Here is a quick look at the ingredients I use in this spaghetti recipe:
- ground beef
- parsley and basil
- marinara sauce
- cottage cheese
For the main tools, you will need:
- a large pot to cook the spaghetti (I have this pasta pot and love it!)
- a big non-stick skillet for browning the ground beef
- a 9×13 casserole dish to bake the cheesy spaghetti
- a rubber spatula to stir and cook the beef – it’s one of my favorite, universal kitchen tools that makes everything easier!
How to Make Cheesy Baked Spaghetti
My baked spaghetti recipe is so easy and starts off by cooking the spaghetti. Simply follow the directions on your pasta box to cook perfect, al dente pasta.
While your pasta cooks, brown the ground beef in a large skillet. Break up the beef using a spatula as it cooks so you get nice, small crumbles. Add the onion, garlic, parsley and basil to the beef and mix well.
Pour the tomato sauce into the skillet with the ground beef then let the mix simmer for about 5 minutes. This will give the pasta sauce time to absorb all the great flavors of the beef mix.
While the sauce simmers, toss the eggs, salt and butter into the cooked spaghetti. Adding eggs to the spaghetti will help them set and stick together when baked. You will be able to slice the cheesy baked spaghetti like a lasagna – thanks to the eggs! Toss them with the pasta well so all the noodles are coated in whisked egg.
Layer the pasta, meat sauce and cheese into the casserole dish. I like to start with the eggy spaghetti, add a layer of meat sauce then top it with the cheeses. I repeat this layering, making sure I end with a layer of sauce on top.
Once the pasta is layered into the casserole dish, bake it until bubbly. Let the baked cheesy spaghetti cool for a few minutes then slice and serve! This spaghetti dinner is definitely best when enjoyed hot.
National Spaghetti Day – Try My Easy Baked Spaghetti!
Are you ready to celebrate National Spaghetti Day with this delicious and easy baked spaghetti? It is such a great dish and a tasty way to celebrate a fun food holiday.
Let’s kick off 2022 on a positive, upbeat note and celebrate as much as we can. Give my recipe for quick and easy baked spaghetti a try and I promise you will be smiling from ear to ear on National Spaghetti Day! You will likely want to make this tasty dish often throughout all of 2022.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Read My Disclosure Policy for more details.Print
This easy baked spaghetti recipe is a delicious, comforting dish made with ground beef, marinara sauce, and other simple ingredients. The mozzarella cheese and cottage cheese gives this dish the tastiest top cheese layer baked to golden perfection!
- 1 box (16 oz) spaghetti noodles
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 jar (24 oz) marinara sauce
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese, divided
- fresh parsley
- fresh basil
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente
- While pasta is cooking, prepare sauce
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef until just about done
- Add onion and cook until no pink remains in beef and onions are soft
- Add garlic, parsley and basil and stir together
- Stir in pasta sauce
- Bring to simmer and cook 5-6 minutes or until flavors have combined well
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Coat 13×9 inch baking dish with cooking spray
- Remove pasta from stove and drain well, transfer to large bowl
- Add eggs, salt and butter to pasta and toss to combine
- Place half of the pasta mixture in the baking dish
- Add half of the meat sauce, then half of the cottage cheese and half of the mozzarella cheese
- Repeat layers
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes, uncover and continue baking for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving
- Serve with fresh herbs if desired.
Keywords: spaghetti, baked spaghetti, cheesy spaghetti