Christmas is only a few days away and if you’re hosting a holiday get-together like I am, one thing that’s on your list of priorities is the holiday menu. I’m all about the fun, bright and festive ambience when I plan a holiday party or get-together. I love hosting and preparing our home for the holidays. But, when it comes to food preparations, I avoid spending too much time in the kitchen, so I rely on my treasured list of easy-to-fix recipes.
Creating delicious holiday meals can be quick and hassle-free with the help of Smithfield Marinated Fresh Pork. With the prep work already done for me, I have more time to spend with family and friends, and less time in the kitchen. Whether I need a quick and easy weeknight dinner, or appetizers dishes for entertaining a crowd, Smithfield Marinated Fresh Pork is perfect for any holiday occasion.
I can create holiday meals that are ready in about 30 minutes!
Smithfield Marinated Fresh Pork is made from 100% fresh pork with no artificial ingredients and packed with protein. It’s available in a wide variety of fresh cuts, including pork roasts, loin filets, chops, ribs, sirloins, and tenderloins. Slice or cube for faster cooking!
Today, I’m happy to share with you one of my family’s timeless recipes: Festive Pork and Cheese Empanadas made with Smithfield Roasted Garlic & Herb Marinated Fresh Pork Loin Filet.
Growing up, I remember my mother making these delicious appetizers for family get-togethers. I’ve made these empanadas several times for potluck parties and holiday get-togethers with family and friends and I get compliments every time!
- 1 package Smithfield Roasted Garlic & Herb Marinated Fresh Pork Loin Filet, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion - diced
- 1/2 small bell pepper - diced
- 2 large garlic cloves - minced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 medium russet potato - finely diced
- bay leaf (optional)
- grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro - finely chopped (optional)
- 2 packages pre-made, refrigerated pie crust (not frozen)
- 1 egg, well-beaten, for egg wash (optional)
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the cubed Smithfield Roasted Garlic & Herb Marinated Fresh Pork Loin Filet and sear the meat for about 10 minutes, 5 minutes on each side. Add the finely diced onion, green pepper, and garlic. Sauté until the onion is soft and translucent. About 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, wine, and bay leaf and bring to a simmer on low heat. Add the finely diced potatoes. Cook until the finely chopped vegetables are tender and the mixture begins to thicken, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking. Remove from heat and set aside. Also, remove the bay leaf at this point.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. While the pork mixture is cooling, mix together the grated mozzarella cheese and the cilantro in a medium bowl.
- Prepare a parchment lined baking sheet. Unroll the pie crust dough and cut out 3" inch circles. With your finger, take a bit of the egg wash and run it across one side of the 3" inch circles. This will help the empanadas seal.
- Stir the pork mixture into the bowl with the cheese and cilantro. Mix well. Fill empanadas by placing about 2 Tablespoons of the pork and cheese mixture in each circle. Fold over and seal the edges by pressing down with a fork. Brush them with the egg wash for a little shine.
- Cook the empanadas at 350 degrees for about 17 to 20 minutes until they're just slightly a golden-reddish-brownish color.
This recipe feeds a crowd for the holidays, so if you’re only feeding a family of five like mine, just cut this recipe in half. Also, remember that fresh pork cuts such as loin filets, boneless loins, sirloin roasts, tenderloins, and pork chops are safe and most delicious when cooked to an internal temperature of 145F followed by a three-minute rest.
I love the ease and versatility that Smithfield Marinated Fresh Pork offers. You simply slow-cook, roast, or sauté the pork for a meal that’s perfect for any holiday occasion. Slow-marinated and seasoned to perfection, Smithfield Marinated Fresh Pork is available in several flavors, such as Roasted Garlic & Herb, Applewood Smoked Bacon, Slow Smoked Mesquite, Original Recipe, and Steakhouse Mushroom.
I get my Smithfield Marinated Fresh Pork products at my local Food Lion store, but they’re also available at Walmart, Safeway, and Harris Teeter stores.
For more product information and recipe inspiration, visit SmithfieldRealFlavorRealFast.com.