This delicious, EASY PUMPKIN DUMP CAKE has all the fall flavors – pumpkin, pecan and cinnamon! This cake dessert is so easy to make it will become your favorite go-to fall dessert!
It has really been feeling like fall here in Virginia. In the past few days, the leaves have turned vibrant shades of orange and reds and the air has been so cool and crisp. I absolutely love this time of year! There is so much to love about the fall, especially when it comes to baking.
Fall is considered the start of “baking season”. It is the time of year when everyone starts spending more time inside and more time in the kitchen. You probably already know that I am crazy about pumpkin recipes. My Pumpkin S’mores Cheesecake Bars are one of the best things ever! But I’m also very excited to share with you my recipe for easy pumpkin dump cake. It is insanely easy to make and one of the most flavorful cakes I have ever made. It is the perfect recipe to really kick off fall and baking season!
What is Dump Cake?
Have you ever made a dump cake? They are the easiest kind of cake to make! There is no need to cream butter or alternate ingredients to make a perfect batter. You just need to stir once and dump the ingredients into a pan. That is why it’s called a dump cake! Mix and dump. Easy as that!
While it may be very easy to make my pumpkin dump cake recipe, the flavor of the cake is anything but basic. My pumpkin dump cake is perfectly spicy and loaded with fall flavor. It is very moist and tender with a little bit of crunch thanks to a sprinkle of pecans. It’s fall baking perfection! Let me tell you all about what goes into my easy pumpkin dump cake recipe so you can start baking.
Ingredients in Pumpkin Dump Cake
Most of the ingredients for pumpkin dump cake are probably in your pantry right now. You don’t need anything fancy to make this fall cake recipe! Here is what you will need:
- eggs- room temperature eggs will blend into the batter best
- pumpkin puree- Make sure to get pure pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling. You can find pumpkin puree in the baking aisle of your grocery store.
- evaporated milk- Evaporated milk adds a rich, sweet flavor
- sugar- Cakes need to be sweet and sugar is the ingredient that will help with that goal!
- pumpkin pie spice- Use cinnamon in place of pumpkin pie spice if needed.
- salt- Salt enhances the overall flavor of the dump cake
- cake mix- Any kind of yellow or golden cake mix will work.
- pecans- Pecans add a perfect crunch to the dump cake recipe
- butter- Butter makes the cake creamy and decadent.
I like to keep all of these ingredients on hand during the fall. I go through a lot of pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice during baking season! It won’t go to waste so be sure to stock up!
How to Make Easy Pumpkin Dump Cake
Once you have all of the ingredients, putting the pumpkin dump cake together is so simple. It is actually a great recipe to make with kids as they can easily help measure and stir. Here is how you make pumpkin dump cake in just a few minutes!
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9×13 baking dish.
2. Whisk the eggs, pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar and pumpkin pie spices together then pour it into the pan.
3. Sprinkle the dry cake mix and chopped pecans on top of the batter in the pan.
4. Pour the melted butter evenly over the whole cake.
5. Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out cleanly.
That is it! This may be the easiest pumpkin cake recipe I have ever made. And I promise the flavor will not disappoint!
Tips and Tricks for Making the Best Pumpkin Dump Cake
I always have a few tips and tricks to help you make the perfect cake. Take a look at these tips before you start baking.
- Make the recipe as directed but pour everything into the bowl of your slow cooker instead of a 9×13 pan. Cover and cook in the slow cooker on low heat for 4 hours. Crockpot dump cake is super easy and you never even need to turn on the oven!
- Use brown sugar in place of granulated sugar for a richer, more moist dump cake.
- Use chopped walnuts in place of pecans.
- Use candied pecans for a sweeter crunch to the pumpkin dump cake.
- Serve the warm cake with whipped cream or a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- A drizzle of caramel sauce over the cake is delicious and decadent.
- Add a scoop of pumpkin dump cake to your morning granola. This will definitely help you start the day off right!
If you have any great dump cake tips to share, please let me know! I am always looking for ways to make my recipes easier and tastier!
Baking in the fall is one of my favorite past times and I know you all enjoy it too! Give this amazing pumpkin dump cake recipe a try and let me know what you think. It will only take you about 5 minutes to get the cake into the oven but the results are bakery-worthy. Did I mention how your house will also smell incredible as the pumpkin cake bakes? You are going to want to eat a big scoop of cake the second it comes out of the oven! Enjoy every bite!Print
This delicious, EASY PUMPKIN DUMP CAKE has all the fall go-to flavors – pumpkin, pecan and cinnamon! This cake dessert is so easy to make it will become your favorite go-to fall dessert!
- 4 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice ** see notes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 box (15.25 oz) cake mix, butter golden or yellow
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- whipped cream
- vanilla ice cream
- caramel topping
- pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray 13×9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, spice and salt until well combined
- Pour pumpkin mixture into baking dish
- Sprinkle with dry cake mix
- Chop pecans and spread evenly over cake mix
- Melt butter in microwave safe bowl and drizzle over nuts
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Serve warm or room temperature with whip cream or ice cream if desired
- Store leftovers in airtight container in refrigerator
You can substitute cinnamon for the pumpkin pie spice or a combination of cinnamon and nutmeg