fbpx
Home » Nationwide’s “Make Safe Happen” Campaign: Keeping Your Children Safe from Poisoning

Nationwide’s “Make Safe Happen” Campaign: Keeping Your Children Safe from Poisoning

Nationwide’s “Make Safe Happen” Campaign: Keeping Your Children Safe from Poisoning

This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. All opinions are 100% mine.

As a professional blogger, I love bringing my readers fun recipes, things to try and do, and reviewing some awesome products. But, I also know that I have a responsibility to my readers to remind them of some important topics. Yes, sometimes, this blog has to be serious, because even if I don’t know you by name, I care about your and your family. Poison prevention is a serious topic. So I’m going to bring up some slightly uncomfortable facts that may just help a family. I am proud that I am partnering with Nationwide Insurance to discuss poison safety.

Nationwide Poison Prevention is part of Make Safe Happen, which has a goal of reducing accidental injury, which is the leading cause of death of children.

According to a recent Nationwide Make Safe Happen survey of more than 1,000 parents with children under 13 years of age, 2 in 5 parents (43%) have kept cleaning solutions in a low, unlocked cabinet.

In addition, in that same survey, 36% of parents said they have bought a safety product (e.g., cabinet locks) but didn’t use or install it.

Why are those locks important? In 2015, 12,594 kids 5 and younger were exposed to single-load laundry packets. Exposure means the child may have ingested, inhaled, absorbed by the skin or eyes, etc. While, not all exposures are poisonings or overdoses, these are potentially serious and, even deadly issues. According to the AAPCC, more than 1,000 children did the same in January of this year. We can do better!

It’s not just children who need to live in a safe house, but the same also applies to people in their workplace. If their environment doesn’t have the relevant safety precautions, then they could find themselves facing injuries, such as chemical burns or spinal problems. It doesn’t matter where you are, everyone wants to feel safe at all times, regardless of the environment that you are in.

Small things can really make a difference. It means knowing what items can be risky and poisonous for kids, and what you can do. Here are 5 Toxic Products To Put On Your Watch List:

5 toxic Products in your home

  • Alcohol-based Hand Sanitizer – families keep this handy to keep clean, but many come “scented” now and may even small like a fruity drink, attracting kids. Instead, keep these out of reach, and utilize cabinet locks whenever an adult isn’t present.
  • Single-use laundry soap packets – these new laundry packets may be convenient but they are often bite-size, colorful packages that looks like child toys, yet contain high chemical concentrations which are harmful to children when ingested. Risks also include chemical burns to the eyes, skin, nose, and mouth as well. Keep these in a locked cabinet.
  • Button batteries are often small tablet-shaped objects that are enticing to children to put in their mouths, but can cause electrical/chemical burns when swallowed. These buttons can be found in kids’ favorite things like mom or dad’s cell phone, singing greeting cards, keys, watches and more. If the toy or other product doesn’t have a “screw” top to protect the battery, used secure duct tape to prevent the removal of the batteries.
  • Medications – Kids often can’t tell the difference between medicine and candy. Additionally, those child resistant medicine lids and packaging aren’t always 100% child proof. All this can lead to accidental ingestion. It’s also good to check purses and drawers. These are common places where medicines are kept and kids have access. For this reason, buy and install a lock for your medicine cabinet and keep the items together so that you know how many you have and will know if anything is out of place. Also, work with your pharmacist to properly dispose of excess medication.
  • E-cigarettes: E-cigarettes are filled with flavorful nicotine that smells and tastes sweet, but the levels of nicotine can be harmful to children. Furthermore, did you know that there are links between e-cigarette use and mental health or behavioral issues including suicidal ideation and attempts? Consequently, if you or someone you love has sustained an injury after using a JUUL device or another type of e-cigarette, you might be entitled to take legal action and hold the company behind the device accountable for all related damages.

Here are possible questions you all may have, with answers:

Q: Where can I get cabinet locks?

A: If you download the Make Safe Happen app you can purchase safety items directly from Amazon based on what you need for your home and ages of your children. MakeSafeHappen.com also has safety checklists that will help you identify what you should purchase and install to make your home safer.

Q: What are the signs that a child had been poisoned?

A: If you suspect your child ingested something poisonous, call the Poison Help line, 1-800-222-1222.

Do not make them vomit; do not use ipecac or charcoal until you speak with someone at the Poison Help line or a medical professional. Call 911 if your child has any of following symptoms: seizures, Not breathing, or unconscious.

Q: Where can I find a list of household poisons?

A: If you think it could be poisonous put the item up and away. Also take the time to read all product labels to make sure you know which of your household products are poisonous for your children. This includes:

  • Cosmetics and personal care items (like nail polish remover, jewelry cleaner, mouthwash)
  • Medicine and vitamins
  • Laundry detergents and cleaning solutions (like bleach, carpet cleaner, furniture polish)
  • Alcohol
  • Plants
  • Car fluids
  • Bug and weed killers, fertilizers and plant food
  • Lighter fluid, kerosene, and torch fuel
  • Batteries

If you suspect or know that a child has ingested or come into contact with any poison, call the poison Help Number. Take a moment to save the Poison Control number to you phone: (1-800-222-1222).

Q: Who created the App?

A: The app is owned by our signature partner, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, and was developed by the safety experts in their Center for Injury Research and Policy. The App includes room-by-room safety checklists and links to recommended products. You can also create to-do lists, set reminders and track your progress.

Q: Where can I get more information on poisoning risks and resources?

You can find more information about poisoning at the Poison Help website which is part of the US Department of Health and Human Services.

Q: What other organizations are focused on this issue?

There are many organization’s focused on poisoning. In addition to MakeSafeHappen.com you can also find information on the Poison Help website which is part of the US Department of Health and Human Services. The Poison Help Website also lists local Poison Centers.

Q: What will happen to a child if they ingest a poison– what is the risk?

A: There are many different risks associated with poisoning. If you suspect your child ingested something poisonous, call the Poison Help line, 1-800-222-1222. Do not make them vomit; do not use ipecac or charcoal until you speak with someone at the Poison Help line or a medical professional. Call 911 if your child has any of following symptoms: seizures, not breathing, or unconscious.

Learn more about keeping your children safe today by visiting www.MakeSafeHappen.com

Follow:
Jocelyn Brown
Jocelyn Brown

A former school teacher, Jocelyn Brown created Hip Mama’s Place in 2007. Her motto for this blog is: get inspired, create and share! Jocelyn loves sharing about food and recipes, crafts, DIY projects and her random travels with her family. She also loves all things social media, but her latest obsession is Instagram.

Find me on: Web

Share:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

7 Shares
Share7
Tweet
Pin
Share