You guys, I love Spring and Summer!
And I’m excited because I’m totally rocking this year! And while I recognize that I’ve told you a lot about the busy Spring I’m having this year, I’m still loving all that I’m able to do with a positive attitude. So now let me tell you one more reason to love this season. FRUIT! Fresh fruit galore! If you haven’t had mango before, you’re missing out! Seriously! There are many reasons I love mango, including the health benefits. But I fell in love it with it for its taste.
What does a mango taste like?
If you haven’t had mango before, know that mango is a tasty, fleshy fruit that is a bit citrusy, but not overwhelming. If you’re buying fresh, you want it to be slightly fragrant when you do a “sniff test” and also not rock hard – if so, you’ll need to keep it covered so it can continue to ripen. But, for a smoothie, frozen mango is perfectly fine – it was already picked and processed at its peak ripeness!
Okay now for those who need more reasons to try new fruits, let’s look at the health benefits of mango:
- Mangos are full of antioxidants which is great for cell renewal and for cancer prevention
- Full of vitamin C and Vitamin A, both of which are necessary for a healthy immune system, and vitamin A is great for vision too!
- 105 calories
- Includes B6 plus other B vitamins, which is important for hormone production and heart disease prevention
- 3 grams of fiber (nutrition facts from here)
Layered Tropical Smoothie Recipe
And of course, an awesome smoothie is not complete without strawberries! Add kiwi and bananas and you have the most refreshing, beautiful and tasty smoothie that kids will love as well!
Yes, you’ll need to make a double batch! If I turn away, my kids steal this one, no questions asked.
Printable recipe is below.Print
A refreshing, delicious smoothie
For the Mango Smoothie:
- 1 1/2 mangoes, cut up
- 1 banana, sliced and frozen
For the Strawberry Smoothie:
- 1 cup strawberry, diced
- 1 piece kiwi fruit, sliced
For the Mango-Banana Smoothie
- Put the cut up mango and banana in a blender and blend until well processed.
- Add a bit of water according to your desired thickness.
- Pour in a glass.
For the Strawberry-Kiwi Smoothie
- Pour strawberry and kiwi fruits in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour over the mango layer and top with chia seeds.
- Drink immediately!
A note from the author: This post originally published in May 2016 and has since been updated. All images in this are owned and copyrighted by Hip Mama’s Place. Do not use without permission.