When it comes to the basic tenets of America, one thing I think we patriotically admit to is being hard-working. For centuries American ingenuity and hard work has been the cornerstone of our ability to overcome, create and BE! To help thank hard-working Americans, we celebrate Labor Day. According to the US Department of Labor, the holiday “constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.” It also signifies the end of summer. While some states now start school well-before Labor Day, many families still try to get one last weekend away, or one last barbeque in for Labor Day weekend. We have a fun recipe idea plus Labor Day Trivia!
Labor Day Trivia
- What percent of people barbeque on Labor Day?
2. The workers strike of ____ created the demand for a day off in honor of workers and forced the government to create the holiday.
3. The first actual labor day (not federally recognized) was in:
A. January 1, 1732
B. September 5, 1882
C. September 12, 1903
D. January 12, 1980
4. This year the national airlines expect a ____ in airline travel this labor day.
A. 10 percent decrease
B. 2 percent decrease
C. 4 percent increase
D. 10 percent increase
5. The two people who brought the idea of Labor Day are often thought to be:
A. Peter J. McGuire of American Federation of Labor, and Matthew Maguire, a machinist and secretary of the Central Labor Union in New York.
B. Grover Cleveland, 22nd President of the United States (1885 – 1889 and his successor, Benjamin Harrison (1889–1893).
C. Mom and Dad of every child who had to work long hours in those days.
D. Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush
6. According to the Hearth, Patio and Barbeque association, the most popular food for cooking on the grill is:
A. burgers (85 percent picking this option)
B. Corn (100% picking this option)
C. Chicken (45 percent picking this option)
D. Veggie Burgers (90 percent picking this option)
7. To try to curb drunk driving collisions, many states operate these on holiday weekends:
A. Free taxi and Uber rides
B. Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over
C. Shutting down the freeways
D. Installing breathalyzers in all cars
8. According to the Hankook Tire Gauge Index, what percent of Americans prefer driving as their preferred method of travel during the summer?
9. Traditionally this bridge, over 5 miles long, is walked on Labor Day.
A. The Portage Lift Bridge
B. Mackinaw Bridge
C. San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge
D. Every Bridge in Oklahoma
10. Which annual gathering in the Nevada desert traditionally ends on Labor Day and is based on the ideal of radical inclusion and gifting?
A. Walk the Strip
B. Nevada’s Worker’s Union
C. Burning Man
D. High Stakes Poker Party
Final question, what’s the perfect Labor Day (or any) party food?
Okay, I’ll give you the answer:
Now that you know Labor Day Trivia and know what to cook, who are you inviting over?
Labor Day Trivia Answers
- D (source: Hearth Patio and BBQ association)
- B (source: http://www.americaslibrary.gov/jb/gilded/jb_gilded_labor_2.html )
- C (Source: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-labor-day-travel-20160817-snap-story.html)
- B (source: http://www.mackinacbridge.org/annual-bridge-walk-7/ )
- C (more info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Man )