One thing I love most about the holiday season is the home cooked meals. It’s cold, we are all busy, and the last thing we want is fast food from a drive-thru!
We want the comfort foods that will keep us going through all the cooking, shopping, and spending time with loved ones.
Beef Stew with Leeks
My family loves a nice pot of Beef Stew with Leeks during the holidays. It’s one of our go-to meals because it fills us up and gets us warm in the cold weather. Just talking about it makes me want a bowl right now!
I made this Beef Stew with Leeks with Hunt’s Petite Diced Tomatoes . They are the purest tomatoes you can buy, and they work great with the other farm-fresh ingredients like carrots and leeks in the stew.
Hunt’s Petite Diced Tomatoes add to the flavor of the beef and pull the stew together for a delicious meal! Plus, the tomatoes are great for a number of recipes. I also like to use them for home made vegetable soup in my slow cooker. They would be great in a pizza or lasagna recipe too!
Below you will find the beef stew recipe that we love having during the holiday season. It’s great served in a bowl or over rice. The choice is yours!
This is something you can either make in the crockpot or oven, and even stovetop. I made it in a dutch oven, and we had it for dinner.Print
- 2 lbs beef stew, cut in 1/2 inch
- 1 shallot,
- 2 leeks, white part thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef broth
- salt/pepper to taste
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Over medium heat, brown the beef until all the moisture has evaporated.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes, stir and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Next, add the leeks and allow them to cook until soft and translucent.
- Throw in the thyme, bay leaves and pour in the broth (make sure it just covers the meat).
- Lower heat and let it simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
- Stir every the 30 minutes.
- Check on the tenderness of the meat after the 2 1/2 hours.
- it’s to your liking add the carrots and allow them to cook for another 30 minutes.
- Before serving, taste seasoning
- Serve over rice.
What are your favorite tomato-based recipes? I hope you’ll try my recipe for Beef Stew with Leeks!