As we reflect on our bountiful blessings with our loved ones this Thanksgiving, we can take a moment and think about the millions of people affected by the devastating Typhoon Haiyan which slammed the Philippines earlier this month.
There are many ways to help the victims and survivors of Typhoon Haiyan. World Vision is one of the many channels you can use to help through their Philippines Disaster Response Fund. This fund was created by World Vision to provide emergency food, water and hygiene kits to survivors of the typhoon. World Vision relief workers distributed the first round of supplies – weighing in at 25 tons – to nearly 780 families on November 14, 2013, and plan to continue distributions in the coming days.
This year, World Vision also has emergency aid as an option in their annual Gift Catalog, which offers you the opportunity to make your charitable donation in the name of a loved one this holiday season. Gifts such as clean water fund ($35), $350 worth of medicines ($35), goat and 2 chickens ($100) and more!
You can also shop for items for yourself or as gifts for your loved ones from the 2013 World Vision Gift Catalog. Along with receiving the most beautiful, most unique products, your purchase from this catalog also provides for the unique needs of children and families worldwide.
There a ton of lovely, handcrafted products to be had in this gift catalog. Here are some to consider:
– Silver Vines Cuff : This gorgeous adjustable silver cuff bracelet will an intricately laced vine pattern designed by artisans in Old Delhi, India. This stunning piece is the result of once mistreated jewelry makers banding together to support their families through Fair Trade practices.
– Chiang Mai Leather Bands : Loved by both men and women these expandable wristbands are made to support children of Chiang Mai, Thailand.
– Hand-woven Headband: This beautiful, 100% cotton headband woven by skilled workers in Lake Atitlan in Guatemala helps address urgent needs of children, families or communities that might otherwise go unmet.
– Colors of Africa Bracelet & Earring Set: This gorgeous Zakale jewelry set is handmade from recycled materials by Kenyan artisans reclaiming their own lives from poverty.
– “Prosperity” Cinnamon Box: Vietnam’s renowned sweet cinnamon is a renewable resource collected from the Cassia tree by skilled artisans. It is presented in a beautifully carved cinnamon bark box that bears a common Asian character for prosperity.
– Hand-Carved Serving Spoons: This beautiful set of two hand-carved olivewood serving spoons is delivered in a hand-sewn gift bag of African fabric and can be used as a decoration or for serving.
– The Fair-Trade Coffee Set includes whole bean coffee from Ethiopia, Sumatra, and Costa Rica blended by OneCup.org and is delivered in a bag of African fabric hand-sewn by local women with a hand-carved olivewood scoop.
Learn more about World Vision USA through their web page at: http://www.worldvision.org/, their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/worldvision and Twitter at @WorldVisionNews or @WorldVisionUSA.
*About World Vision USA: World Vision is a Christian humanitarian organization dedicated to working with children, families, and their communities worldwide to reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice.
One of you, lucky Hip Mama’s Place readers, will win a Hand-Carved Serving Spoons from the World Vision Gift Catalog – a $65 value!
*CONTEST ENTRY RULES:
To enter this contest, you MUST FOLLOW ALL (4) four simple steps to earn your entry!
1. “Like” Hip Mama’s Place on Facebook
2. Follow Hip Mama’s Place on Twitter
3. Follow Hip Mama’s Place on Pinterest
4. Leave a comment on this post telling me your top three favorite item/s from the World Vision Catalog. In your comment, please include your Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest user names to verify your participation and your email address to contact you if you win.
This contest is open to U.S. addresses only and ends on December 12, 2013 at 12MN, EST. One (1) winner will be picked at random using Random.org at the end of the contest. Good luck!
About the Author: Jocelyn Cañasa-Brown is a working mom of two boys and is a recognized blogger and mom influencer in the Washington, DC area. In her spare time, she designs and creates her own handmade jewelry, maintains her jewelry store on Etsy and is an active moms group organizer and leader both online and offline. Hip Mama’s Place was nominated for Parents 2011 Best All-Around Mom Blog and named one of the Highest Rated Blogs and Sites on Nickelodeon ParentsConnect for the Washington, DC area. Follow Jocelyn on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.