It doesn’t have to be “out with old, and in with the new” when it’s time to get organized for your Spring wardrobe. If you just follow a few easy and space saving tips, you can make this time of year a lot less seem like work and more like letting in the warmth and sunlight of the Spring season. I love cleaning our house in the Spring, but I also love to declutter our wardrobe closets and get them organized.
1. It’s always easier to pick an outfit and also to see if you need to add to your wardrobe on your next shopping trip if you group your like clothing items together. For example, hang or fold neatly all capri pants, shorts, and spring leggings together in one area. If you feel like color coding, feel free to hang them in that fashion as well to make matching easier throughout the week.
2. Using clear plastic totes and boxes stacked together to hold tank tops, camisoles, and even shorts are a super way to see what is available and keeps them out of those troublesome stacks that tend to fall over on the top shelf. Smaller clear plastic totes are also great for storing accessories for easy access.
3. When packing up heavy winter sweaters and items that you won’t need until next season, a must have is the space saving bags that can be found at most home goods stores and when the air is vacuumed out, they store nicely under beds, couches, and on shelving units.
4. Another space saving tip is to try the felt hangers that are designed to save room in your closet by being less bulky and they have a great grip if you are hanging silkier items like rayon and thin strapped dresses. They are inexpensive and come in large packs of a dozen or more in most stores.
5. Try this great hanger trick – when you’ve worn an item from your Spring wardrobe several times, hang it backwards in your closet. At the end of the season, any items that are still hanging forward and haven’t been worn should be considered for donation.
6. There can be a lot of empty spaces around your house that make great storage areas. Try empty pieces of luggage, filing cabinets, or trunks to store items in until you need them again.
7. A clothing and accessory swap with your closet friends is a fun and social way to not only get together, but a great way to get a few “new” items and also trade some of those unworn pieces.
8. First and foremost, before even reorganizing your closet space, no matter how big or small it may be, give it a good cleaning. Vacuum the closet carpet with the best vacuum cleaner, dust all the nooks and crannies and change out drawer or shelf paper at this time also. It’s a perfect start to prep for your Spring wardrobe.
Just take an afternoon, put on some good music, and get started. Before you know it, your closet will be well on its way to utter organization and all those fun sale items you found at the end of last season will be brand new. And don’t forget, if you haven’t worn an item in more than a year, it’s time to say goodbye!