We’ve been told for years about the health benefits of ginger – like drinking ginger ale for an upset stomach. But did you know that there is not enough of natural ginger in a serving of ginger ale to help with your stomach ache or even nausea? We bake with ginger and we sometimes add it to certain pasta dishes for extra flavor, but there are so many more other benefits of ginger that you may not know about.
Check out these 8 key health benefits of ginger:
- Nausea. When ginger is used in its raw form, it is an excellent aid for nausea when it comes to motion sickness. Also, it’s been shown to help cancer patients with their post chemotherapy nausea symptoms and even for pregnant women for morning sickness. Simply shave or mince a few pieces of ginger root and steep in boiling water, let cool a little, and sip for some relief.
- Lowers blood sugar. Ginger can also help people that have type 2 diabetes by lowering their blood sugar. The ginger “herb” also helps improve any risk factors for those who may be showing signs of heart disease.
- Muscle aches and pains. If ginger is used on a day-to-day basis and over some time, you could quite possibly see some relief from sore muscles, especially those that are related to strenuous exercise.
- Menstrual pain. It’s been shown that if women take a simple ginger root supplement, found in most vitamin stores, at the beginning of their menstrual cycle it can help with the symptoms associated with the cycle, especially cramping.
- Indigestion. If ginger is ingested prior to or during a meal and someone suffers from chronic indigestion, this could be a major help because ginger helps speed up the digestion process.
- Lower cholesterol. Ginger is a natural way to help those with high LDL cholesterol lower it if used on a regular basis. It’s best to use gingerroot in its natural form, shave or mince it into boiling water, and drink as a hot beverage. Another great way to add ginger into your daily diet is to simply put some in your herbal tea or coffee.
- Improve brain function. Eating ginger is also said to help reduce inflammation of the brain. Not only does your memory improve, but you are getting a lot of natural antioxidants as well. Studies in elderly women especially have shown a decrease in memory loss.
- Headaches. By sipping on a warm cup of ginger root tea, it is a natural way to help ease the pain of a headache. You can get the best results by slicing 3 pieces and simmering it in 2 cups of water for about 20 minutes. Sip and breathe in the aroma and try to relax.
So whether you are using ginger as a preventative aid or for any of the above benefits, keep in mind that using fresh whole ginger root is the best way to go if you would like to try it for medicinal purposes. It’s always important to check with your doctor and stay on any prescribed medications.