It’s important in today’s world to show kindness and compassion for others, but we certainly don’t take the time to look out for ourselves and cultivate healthy self-care habits at the same time. For most people, adding any type of self-care into our daily routine can seem difficult and often times inconvenient.
Here are five ways you can cultivate healthy self-care habits into your life:
1. Express gratitude. Keep a journal and write everything down in your day that brings your joy and that you are thankful for even if it’s the most simple thing. Expressing gratefulness daily can make you feel like whatever you are going through that day, you are worth the fight. Keep your journal with you all day so when you see or hear something, or even have a few extra moments you can sit and express yourself freely.
2. Simplify. With your everyday hustle and bustle it can be hard to keep up with your kid’s doctor’s appointment, let alone yours, so now may be the time to look into the idea of an online doctor. It’s a perfect way to get routine health check ups taken care of without getting in your car, fighting traffic, and waiting for your appointment with several others in a crowded waiting room.
3. Give yourself a gift. Even when you were young, didn’t the smallest gift bring you the biggest joy? So why not as an adult buy yourself something now and then to pick yourself up or even on a day for no reason at all? The gift to yourself doesn’t have to be extravagant at all and can be just enough to lift your spirits on a gloomy day. For me personally, it’s as simple as buying myself a bouquet of fresh flowers.
4. Create a quiet and cozy space. If your bedroom space isn’t as peaceful as you would like, take the time to make it that way. Add some low lighting, candles, and additional throw pillows. Create a quiet space to get away and practice some mindfulness and meditation in order to clear your mind and ease into the day first thing in the morning. There is no better way to get started than to shut everything out, put on some meditative music or a guided meditation and dive into quieting your mind. As always, if you are considering using any natural products or alternative therapies, be sure to speak to a doctor first as not everything is suitable for everyone.
5. Take better care of you. The best way to incorporate better self-care habits is plain and simple and that is to take better care of yourself on a daily basis. This includes daily exercise, eating healthy, getting a good amount of sleep each night, and as a woman especially taking vitamins that promote healthy bones and strong, healthy hair. There are many reasons why we can lose hair over the years, one thing you can do is take the vitamin Biotin. It is an excellent source to help regrow hair and it also helps with nail growth. So all the more reason to head to the spa to treat yourself to a manicure! Also, if you think you can benefit by talking to a professional therapist about your mental health, BetterHelp is a great place to start.
So it is very important to take a break and remember that we are worth the time and self-care because ultimately it becomes our time to show self-love. If we continue to put others needs before our own all the time, it will lead to a lack in “me time” and that only causes us more stress and prevents us from being our best selves each and every day.
This is a collaborative post. All views and text are my own.
You Might Also Like…