Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Did You Know?
· In Ireland on St. Patrick’s Day, people traditionally wear a small bunch of shamrocks on their jackets or caps. Children wear orange, white and green badges, and women and girls wear green ribbons in their hair.
· According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the highest number of leaves found on a clover is 14!
· The name “lephrechaun” has several origins. It could be from the Irish Gaelic word “leipreachan,” which means “a kind of aqueous sprite.” Or, it could be from “leath bhrogan,” which means “shoemaker.”
And this year, you don’t have to eat corned beef and cabbage to bring out the Irish in you. Everyone can stay healthy with these fresh green appetizers- courtesy of Del Monte and Starkist! And what’s cool, you can get 130% your daily Vitamin C with these recipes! Enjoy!
Creamy Spinach Dip
1 can (13-1/2 oz.) DEL MONTE® Whole Leaf or Chopped Spinach
2 cups light sour cream
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 pkg. (1.4 oz.) dry onion soup mix
1 cup chopped red pepper
1. Drain spinach well reserving 2 tablespoons liquid. Chop spinach (if using Whole Leaf Spinach).
2. Combine reserved liquid, sour cream, mayonnaise and soup mix. Stir in spinach and red pepper.
3. Refrigerate several hours or overnight to blend flavors. Serve with vegetables, bread or crackers
Per Serving/% DAILY VALUE: Vitamin A- 60%, Vitamin C- 130%, Calcium- 20%, Iron- 4%
Hot Artichoke and Spinach Dip–
A flavorful twist to one of your favorite appetizers!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Servings: Makes ~ 2 cups dip (~8 servings)
1 pouch (6.4 oz.) StarKist® Chunk Light Tuna in Water
1 can (14 oz.) artichokes, drained and chopped
½ cup light mayonnaise
½ cup light sour cream
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
Dash hot sauce
1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed well
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Mix artichokes, mayonnaise, sour cream, Dijon mustard and hot sauce in a medium bowl until well blended.
3. Add tuna, spinach and cheese. Mix until well blended.
4. Place in small casserole dish (2 cup size) and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
5. Serve in dish or in hollowed out bread bowl.
For a flavorful twist, use 2 pouches (4.5 oz.) StarKist Tuna Creations®, Zesty Lemon Pepper in place of Chunk Light Tuna
Per Serving/% DAILY VALUE: Vitamin A- 50%, Vitamin C- 4%, Calcium- 12%, Iron- 4%,
For more healthy and delicious recipes like these, visit DelMonte.com/recipes
About the Author: Jocelyn Cañasa-Brown is a working mom of two boys and is a recognized blogger and mom influencer in the Washington, DC area. In her spare time, she designs and creates her own handmade jewelry, maintains her jewelry store on Etsy and is an active moms group organizer and leader both online and offline. Hip Mama’s Place was nominated for Parents’ Picks 2010 Best Parenting Blogs and named one of the Highest Rated Blogs and Sites on Nickelodeon ParentsConnect for the Washington, DC area. Follow Jocelyn on Twitter and/or Facebook.