This classic vanilla cookie recipe is delicious and makes a great cookie for a cookie cake or cream tart!
250 grams butter, softened
120 grams caster (superfine) sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 ½ cups plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add the eggs and mix until well combined. Add the sifted flour and baking powder as well as the salt and mix just until the dough comes together. If the dough is still sticky add a little more flour until a nice smooth dough forms.
2. After the cookie dough is made roll it out on a silicone baking mat or parchment (baking) paper, so you don’t have to transfer the large cookie shapes later, to approximately 5mm thick and spread it far enough to cut out the large cookie shapes later. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to firm up the dough to make cutting out easier.
3. Place your cookie cake template carefully on top of the rolled out dough and cut out the shape using your plastic cookie cutter tool or a blunt butter knife. Take your time and keep the blade as upright as you can so that the edge of the cookie is cut straight.
4. After cutting around the outer edge and inner edge (if you want the inside removed also for some shapes) carefully lift off the cookie dough away from the cutout shape.
5. Slide the baking mats with the cookies on top onto a cookie sheet or baking tray and put the cookie cutouts back into the fridge to chill while the oven heats up or at least 15 minutes. This will help the cookie to keep its shape when baked.
6. Heat oven to 160°C (325°F) and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked. Take the cookies out of the oven and leave the cookies on the trays to cool completely. Large cookies can be difficult to move without breaking, especially when they are warm.
Author’s notes: This vanilla cookie recipe can be matched with so many different flavor combinations. This recipe doesn’t spread when baked so is perfect for cut-out cookies and hand-cut large cookies for cookie cakes. The dough can be rolled out and cut as soon as it is made, however I like to chill it before hand-cutting out just to make it a bit easier to keep the exact shape I want. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Keywords: vanilla, cookies, vanilla cookies, cookie cakes