- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1–2 tsp red food coloring (to your desired red)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat oil, eggs, vanilla and sugar. Add to dry mixture bowl, then add the red fool coloring.
- Mix together with an electric mixer until evenly blended.
- Dust a mixture of flour and powdered sugar onto a clean, dry surface.
- Dust your hands with flour (mixture will be sticky) and grab a large handful of dough/batter. Roll it in your dough/sugar, then press out to make a ½ inch thick sheet.
- Cut out hearts, then transfer to baking sheet. Repeat these steps until sheet is full. Sprinkle each cookie lightly with more powdered sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, checking after ten to make sure they don’t burn.
- They will be ready when they start to crack.
- The cookies will spread in the oven. Let cool on the baking sheet for a couple minutes then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling completely.