Easy and delicious orange carrot cookies are made with mashed carrots and then glazed with a delicious orange icing. Perfect as a springtime dessert or breakfast treat!
2/3 cup shortening or softened butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup carrots, cooked and mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup hot orange juice
2 cups powdered sugar
zest of 1 large or 2 small oranges, less 1 teaspoon used in cookie dough.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- With a mixer, beat shortening and sugar until crumbly.
- Add carrots, egg, vanilla and orange zest to sugar mixture and beat until well mixed.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder and gradually add to dough, mixing well.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes until golden.
- Make glaze while cookies are cooling by combining hot orange juice and powdered sugar. Stir until all lumps are smooth, then stir in zest.
- Drizzle glaze on top of cooled cookies.
- Optional: lightly sprinkle with additional orange zest for garnish.