9–12 lbs. Turkey, thawed completely
1 large onion, cut into quarters
2 cups butter, salt or unsalted, room temperature
1 cup turkey broth or water
¼ cup garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sage, freshly chopped
1 tablespoon rosemary, freshly chopped
1 tablespoon thyme, freshly chopped
1 tablespoon parsley, freshly chopped
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
Garnish (all optional)
Extra fresh herbs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove all the packaging and neck from the turkey. Pat turkey completely dry with paper towels.
- Place turkey on rack from the roasting pan.
- In a mixing bowl add 1 cup of butter and garlic. Mix together until combined.
- Add chopped herbs to garlic butter and stir.
- Place 1 cup of butter into the turkey cavity and quartered onion.
- Rub herbed butter all over the turkey, making sure the whole turkey is covered.
- Pour turkey broth or water into the bottom of the roasting pan. Add remaining butter in pan as well.
- Cover pan with foil and place in the oven. Cook until internal temp reached 170 degrees.
- For cooking time depending on how big your turkey is, the rule is to cook 14 minutes per pound.
- Remove foil from turkey the last 45 minutes to make sure the skin gets nice and golden brown.
- Remove turkey from the oven and let it rest 30 minutes before carving.
Keywords: roasted turkey, Thanksgiving turkey, turkey recipe, oven roasted turkey