- ? 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- whipped cream for serving if desired
- powdered sugar, for dusting if desired
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2. Spray 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray and lightly dust with flour.
- 3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- 4. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- 5. Beat in egg and molasses.
- 6. Add dry mixture alternating with buttermilk, beating after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- 7. Spread batter evenly into prepared baking dish.
- 8. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- 9. Cool to room temperature or serve warm with whip cream.
- 10. Store leftovers in airtight container.