Bake up a slice of autumn bliss with my homemade caramel apple spice cake! It’s all about embracing those cozy fall vibes, thanks to the magic trio of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Ready to give it a whirl? Let’s get baking!
1 tablespoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
For the caramel buttercream
2 cups unsalted butter, softened 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1⁄2 cup caramel sauce
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 cups powdered sugar
Extra caramel for dripping apple slices
For the Cake Batter:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease four 8-inch round cake pans and set them aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Set this dry mixture aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter, vegetable oil, applesauce, and granulated sugar until the mixture becomes smooth. Then, add the eggs and vanilla extract, mixing until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, alternating with the milk, until everything is thoroughly combined. Gently fold in the chopped apples.
- Divide the cake batter evenly into the four prepared cake pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely while you prepare the buttercream.
For the Buttercream:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter, vanilla extract, caramel sauce, and cinnamon until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, continuing to beat until it’s thoroughly combined with the other ingredients.
- Level the cooled cakes using a large serrated knife to create a flat surface.
- Stack the cakes, adding a layer of buttercream between each cake layer.
- Use a large icing spatula to spread a thin, even layer of buttercream on top of and around the cake. This creates a crumb coat.
- Place the cake in the freezer for at least 15 minutes to allow the crumb coat to set.
- Frost the entire cake with the remaining buttercream.
- If desired, decorate with a caramel drip and apple slices.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy your Caramel Apple Spice Cake!
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: caramel apple spice cake, apple caramel spice cake