This Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Basil Soup will become your family’s favorite soup! Made with fresh veggies, canned tomatoes, basil, garlic, and Parmesan cheese, this soup is full of flavor and is so easy to prep and make in the Instant Pot!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (14.5oz) cans chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Croutons (for serving)
- Turn the Instant Pot on in sauté mode and heat up the olive oil, add the chopped carrots, onions, celery and garlic and sauce until soft.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, chicken broth, fresh basil and oregano and give a good stir.
- Put on the lid to the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is in the sealed position. Select Pressure Cook and time for 10 minutes. Allow to natural release.
- While the ingredients are cooking add the butter and flour to a small pot on the stove and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until golden brown in color. Turn off the heat and wait for the Instant Pot to be finished.
- Once the pressure has released add the roux (butter and flour mixture) to the soup in the instant pot and stir.
- Using a stick blender, blend the soup until smooth. If you don’t have a stick blender you could decant the soup in portions to a regular blender. Wait for it to cool a little first, though.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, cream, salt and pepper and stir until nicely combined.
- Serve immediately with some croutons and sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Category: Soups
- Method: pressure cooking, instant pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot tomato basil soup, tomato basil soup, creamy tomato basil soup