One thing I love about summertime is that living is easy. It means sun, shorts, sandals, bathing suits and bronzed skin. But it also means we have to be aware of the dangers of the sun’s rays against our skin. Our family literally lives in our swimming pool all summer. So I become the sunscreen police and making sure everyone is always hydrated (drink lots of water!) – more so when we are outdoors.
Our family doctor told me that sun exposure is essentially subjecting yourself to sun damage – but at the same time, she recognizes the fact that avoiding the outdoors altogether is both impractical and nearly impossible. So, she advises, that the best thing one can do when the sun is high is taking preventative measures to keep one’s skin in tip-top condition during the ultimate skin-baring season. So when the beach beckons and the pool pulls you in, here are a few summer skincare tips that I personally follow to make sure my family and I stay sun-smart and we all achieve healthy, sun-kissed skin! Note that I am not a skincare expert. I am sharing tips based on my own personal experiences and advice from my own dermatologist and family doctor.
1. Apply sunscreen religiously. It’s a surefire way of protecting your skin. My dermatologist advises to apply sunscreen 20 minutes prior to allow time for the product to absorb into the skin, then re-apply every few hours or as needed. Sunscreen is so important and is often overlooked! I look for sunscreens that offer protection for both UVA and UVB rays.
2. Keep hydrated. Drink water throughout the day. If I’m on the go, I try bringing a bottle and a container of fresh fruit to prevent dehydration and heat stroke.
3. Cleanse your face twice a day. Even if you’ve been home all day and feel like your skin is clean, cleansing and moisturising your skin upon waking up and before sleeping is an absolute must.
4. Exfoliate. You might be surprised, but my dermatologist says that more than the rest of the year, it’s really important to exfoliate your skin in the summer to remove dead skin and improve blood circulation to the face. Even award winning dermatologists say this is the most important time to exfoliate, because it’s true! There are tons of exfoliating scrubs or cleansers available in the market today suited to every type of skin. I usually choose the one with a gentle formula and then I follow my facial exfoliation (once a week) with a face mask and my favorite oil-free, non-comedogenic moisturizer. In the summers, I use a moisturizer that has an SPF of at least 30.
5. Lip Service. During the hot summer months, I switched out my lip gloss to a lip balm, as balms tend to hydrate more and stay on longer. I look for formulas that has an SPF of at least 15.
6. Choose early morning or late afternoon when heading outdoors. Whether it’s a spontaneous picnic in the park, a walk on the beach, or a road trip, choose to go early morning or late afternoon. According to the Center for Disease Control, the sun’s most harmful rays are between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm, so take smart precautions like applying broad-spectrum high SPF sunscreen on your skin before heading outdoors, plenty of shade, and lots of water will make for a beautiful adventure!
Still on the subject of skincare, I recently received news from Cetaphil®, the #1 dermatologist-recommended brand of cleansers and moisturizers, that they’ve recently introduced a new skincare line for baby called Cetaphil Baby! But, don’t let the name fool you, these products work for moms, too!
Packed with soothing ingredients like organic calendula, almond oil and sunflower oil, Cetaphil Baby offers a powerful way to protect and nourish mommy and baby’s delicate skin. The budget-friendly, double-duty Ultra Moisturizing Wash, Moisturizing Oil and Daily Lotion (along with the rest of the Cetaphil Baby line) rely on the combined power of science and nature to soothe most skin irritations, leaving both mommy and baby feeling beautiful.
Cetaphil Baby Daily Lotion ($9.99): A gentle lotion that is designed to soothe and nourish, while moisturizing and protecting your baby’s skin from dryness.
Cetaphil Baby Ultra Moisturizing Wash ($5.99) A rich lathering wash that contains ? baby lotion and is designed to leave a baby’s skin soft and smooth.
Cetaphil Baby Moisturizing Oil ($6.99): A gentle oil that is specially designed to soften and smooth.
All Cetaphil® Baby products are paraben free, mineral oil free, hypoallergenic and dermatologist tested. The products are available now on Cetaphil.com, Diapers.com, Amazon.com, Drugstore.com, in-store at Buy Buy Baby and Babies R’ Us and at mass and drug retailers nationwide, including Walmart.
Lucky you, loyal Hip Mama’s Place readers! Two (2) of you will win a set of three (3) Cetaphil Baby skincare products listed above – each package is worth $23!
To enter this giveaway contest, just follow the Rafflecopter entry link below. This giveaway contest is open to U.S. addresses only and ends on 06/16/15 at 11:59 PM, EST. Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Hip Mama’s Place Disclosure: “This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Cetaphil. I received the products necessary to facilitate my review and the prize packages to conduct this giveaway. As always, all reviews and opinions are 100% my own”.
We have been using Cetaphil for almost 18 years since my daughter was an infant because she had severe eczema! It is a great product for sensitive skin!
I love how gentle Cetaphil is on my skin.
Cetaphil has a great reputation and seems to be very highly recommended by dermatologists. Thanks for the chance to win this gift set!
They are designed to be gentle on a baby’s skin
They look very gentle.
I love Cetaphil for my daughter. she has extremely sensitive skin.
I think these Cetaphil products would be great for mom and baby’s skin because they are gentle and soothing, using ingredients like organic calendula, almond oil and sunflower oil,
They look like they will work great for my baby’s delicate skin.
I like that these products are organic and contain natural ingredients that are soothing to everyone’s skin.
I have found regular Cetaphil products to be really effective with itchy skin and excema. I think the baby products would be just as good.
my doctor recommended as it being gentle and safe but very effective!
I use Cetaphil’s facial cleanser and I love it (it’s gentle but very effective) so I am sure their products are great for babies as well.
I love cetaphil products for myself so I imagine they would be great for my son!
I love all their other products that I have tried on my babies. They all have eczema and I think these products will work great on their sensitive skin!
There is a reason why most doctors suggest parents use Cetaphil on their babies skin as well as on the Mom’s skin – because its simply the best. I love how it doesn’t leave a residue behind, just great moisturized skin.
My child’s doctor recommends Cetaphil because they make one of the few lotions that doesn’t exacerbate eczema.
I like that they are gentle for sensitive skin.
So gentle yet effective on keeping my son’s skin soft & healthy
Cetaphil makes such amazing products that I use so would love to give some to my nieces little ones too.
I love cetaphil products I am so excited they now have baby products. I would love to try the diaper rash creme
I currently use Cetaphil myself and would love to use it on my baby also!
These products are great because Cetaphil has been a trusted brand for many years.
Cetaphil is known for being gentle on skin — perfect for baby!
I love that it contains organic ingredients and can be used for the whole family.
I think it would be great for mommy and baby
Cetaphil products are great for baby’s skin. We have sensitive skin in the family & we’ve been using cetaphil for almost a decade now
I use Cetaphil and I think it would be great for babies as well because it is so gentle and moisturizing
I am using Cetaphil products for my little one, so I believe that these skincare baby products from Cetaphil are great for taking care of babies
These products are great. A babies skin is so sensitve and tender and you need products that are gentle to use.
I think these products are great because they are gentle and moisturizing.
I like the gentle and effective skin care Cetaphil provides — now for baby too.
Cetaphil products are really my N baby’s favorite because they are very mild for sensitive skin. i also love the fact that these are mineral oil free.
I love Cetaphil products for myself so I think it’d be great to try them out on my baby.
Sounds like a great product! I really like that the family can all use it 🙂
Thanks for the giveaway!