This post was sponsored by Mirum. All views and text are mine.
Fall is one of the most beautiful times of the year. The leaves change color, bringing beautiful landscapes for the eyes to enjoy. I fully enjoy taking in the crisp air, the scent of apples and fall décor that everyone puts out on their front porch this time of year.
While I really appreciate the beautiful, cooler days of fall, I also know that winter is not far behind. As a homeowner, it’s important for me to think about my home’s heating needs now so that we don’t end up without heat in the winter season. Fortunately, we just had our whole HVAC system replaced last Fall because we were having problems with keeping our home warm. We were constantly adjusting our thermostat and the air quality inside our home was always very dry. We have a two story home and our second floor was always warmer than the first floor. However, since we’ve replaced our HVAC system, we don’t have those problems anymore. Still, we keep up with the maintenance by having it checked by a professional at least twice a year – one time in the Spring and a second time on the Fall.
If you’re running into problems with your heating and air-conditioning system, it may be because your heater and/or air conditioner are declining or require repair. Don’t wait until it’s too late to repair/replace your HVAC system. Consider these questions to help you determine your HVAC needs:
- Have you noticed a steady increase in your utility bill?
- Does your system tend to run all of the time?
- Is the second floor always warmer/cooler than the first floor?
- Are you adjusting your thermostat constantly?
- Do you notice that your home is very dry or very humid?
- Does your heating or cooling system need repair or maintenance? Or are you ready for a new air conditioner or heater
No matter how new your home is, it’s important to practice these 5 Fall HVAC maintenance tips every year so that you can rest easy during the winter season. Plus, you don’t want your furnace to be on the fritz during the holiday season!
5 Fall HVAC Maintenance Tips
1. Check Your Air Filters
Clogged air filters will cause your heating bill to be higher than expected as it will slow down the efficiency of your furnace. During the winter months, you’ll want to check the air filters on your HVAC system, but it’s best to get a head start during the fall season by having a tech come in and confirm that your filters are not clogged so that you won’t go broke during the heating season.
2. Seal Air Leaks
Air leaks are obviously not good in the winter season as it will cause your heating unit to work harder than necessary. You should seal windows and doors with weather-stripping and caulking when possible. During the fall season, you need to go around checking for drafts in any area of the home, such as near windows and doors.
3. Clean Your Outdoor Unit
Check your outdoor HVAC outdoor unit for debris and damage. You’ll want to ensure proper air flow and make sure that there are no openings where your unit will get debris or other bad items into your unit. Shut down the outdoor unit by powering it down and wipe down the unit, if possible use a hose to spray out any dirt or debris that’s snuck into cracks of your outdoor unit.
4. Schedule a Professional Fall HVAC Maintenance
Before the temperature drops too low, consider calling for an HVAC system tune-up — especially if you notice some of the following telltale signs:
- A cold home and high energy bills
- Clogged air filters
- Soot around the furnace or flickering flames
- A cracked, frayed or sagging belt
- Strange noises from your HVAC
- You haven’t checked your HVAC system in a while
- Your HVAC unit is old and keeps breaking down
Sears Home Services can help with your HVAC checkups to keep your heating and cooling system running at its best. Routine HVAC maintenance helps prevent costly repairs and can make your HVAC system more energy efficient. Their HVAC experts repair and maintain all major types and brands of heating and whole house cooling systems.
5. Consider Purchasing New Unit
If your HVAC unit is more than 10 years old then you may have to have it replaced. If you’re considering replacing your HVAC unit for this heating season then fall is the best time to do this step. Discuss the status of your HVAC unit with the professional who’s there to perform maintenance, as they’ll know best whether your unit will last another winter or more.
HVAC checkups from Sears Home Services will help keep your home heating and cooling system running efficiently all year round. If you’ve noticed signs like a cracked or frayed belt, clogged air filters, or high energy bills then you may just benefit from a Sears Home Services HVAC checkup before the winter season arrives. This checkup will ensure that your furnace is running efficiently and able to heat your home all winter long without sucking energy costs.
Or, if you need to replace your system, Sears Home Services can come to your home for a free consultation.
HVAC Savings Program: Earn Dollar for Dollar Credits
Sears Home Services is offering the Sears Home Services’ HVAC Savings Program which lets you earn dollar-for-dollar savings towards a future HVAC replacement from Sears when you spend on qualified, paid HVAC repairs and maintenance.
There are also great savings available right now at Sears Home Services on your HVAC needs:
- Save $40 on HVAC Repair and Preventive Maintenance. Additional charge for filters, parts and labor for repair. Offer good on residential units only. Price valid per condensing or heating unit. Excludes swamp coolers, whole house fans, and geothermal units. Tax not included. Not valid with any other offer. Void if copied, transferred and where prohibited by law. Any other use constitutes fraud. Cash value 1/20c. Coupon code: HVAC40. Offer expires 11/30/18. Through the HVAC Savings Program TM, qualified, paid HVAC repairs and maintenance earn dollar-for-dollar savings towards a future HVAC replacement from Sears, up to 10% of the new unit purchase price, and the savings never expire. For more information, go here.
- Save $325 on new HVAC purchase of $1,500 or more. Offer expires 02/02/19. Not valid on prior sales or in combination with any other offer. Purchase requirement before taxes and after other discounts and must be made in a single transaction For more information, go here.
Ready to get your HVAC system in tip top shape or replace your existing one? Then call Sears Home Services experts to repair, replace and maintain your heating and cooling systems. Schedule your free in-home consultation today by clicking on the links below, depending on your needs!
For HVAC repair or preventive maintenance, go here.
For HVAC system replacement or purchase, go here.