There’s a new book that helps parents how to incorporate the outside (all year round) while spending time with their kids.
The book is written by gardening and outdoor lifestyle expert Rebecca P. Cohen based on her own journey as a parent.
Fifteen Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out of the House and Connect with Your Kids is a month-by-month collection of 365 easy and enjoyable ways to connect as a family and explore life outdoors.
According to Rebecca, not only did she feel closer to her family after the year end, but they also experienced great health benefits through fun physical exercise and discovered a deeper appreciation for nature.
Here are a few of Rebecca’s quick and fun ideas to get your family to do fun, creative things outdoors in any season:
- Make a Birdfeeder- Make a bagel bird feeder yourself and hang it on a tree outside within view of where you eat breakfast. No bagel? Use a pinecone instead.
- Make Mud Prints – Give your kids license for what you feel comfortable with: mud shoe prints, mud bike tire prints, mud handprints, no rules? Let your kids loose and have towels ready by the door for muddy shoes and clothes as soon as you are home.
- Ships Ahoy! Sail Juice Box Boats in Puddles – After your kids finish their juice boxes, find a puddle and float them like boats.
- Look for an Aerial Battle – At this time of year, the kids and I tend to notice small birds engaged in battle with a larger bird in the distance overhead. Keep watch on the sky; do you see a turf battle? A hawk hunting for newly hatched baby birds? What can you find?
- Make Your Own Fossil – Take a small box, tape both sides and remove one side of the box. Fill the box with mud and press objects, such as shells, rocks, leaves, or sticks into the mud and bring the boxes inside to dry.
I always look for fun, fresh ideas to do with my kids and this book offers a ton of new and creative suggestions and activities that I never thought about before. For a busy mom like me, fifteen minutes outdoors with my kids everyday isn’t impossible, so what’s not to try?
Fifteen Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out of the House and Connect with Your Kids is now available at Amazon and on sale for only $10.19!
One of you, lucky Hip Mama’s Place reader, will win a copy of Fifteen Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out of the House and Connect with Your Kids by Rebecca P. Cohen!
To enter the contest, leave a comment on this post telling me what outdoor activity you enjoy doing with your kids (in any season) by March 25th, 2011 at 12MN, EST. THIS IS YOUR MANDATORY CONTEST ENTRY.
This contest is open to U.S. ADDRESSES ONLY. Please leave your email address (if you don’t have a blog). I will choose one (1) winner using Random.org and will be announced as a comment on this post. The winner will also be notified by email and/or through a comment on their blog (if available).
*IMPORTANT: PLEASE DO NOT CROSS-PROMOTE ANY OTHER GIVEAWAYS HAPPENING ON ANY OTHER BLOG OR WEBSITE. ANY SPAM COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY.
*EXTRA ENTRIES for many chances to win!
Your comment is your one required/mandatory entry. To earn extra entries, just do the following:
1. Tweet this giveaway on Twitter however you like, but include this URL page and hash tags at the end of your comment: @HipMamasPlace http://bit.ly/emezqY #book #parents #giveaways (5 EXTRA ENTRIES)
I want to win a book giveaway @HipMamasPlace! http://bit.ly/emezqY #book #parents #giveaways
2. Like or Become a fan of Hip Mama’s Place on Facebook and post a comment on our wall and tell me why you like visiting Hip Mama’s Place or reply to the latest post on our wall (3 EXTRA ENTRIES)
3. Follow Hip Mama’s Place on Twitter (3 EXTRA ENTRIES)
4. Follow me or friend me on Google Friend Connect (link is under “Our Hip Followers” on the left side bar) (3 EXTRA ENTRIES)
5. Join the Hip Mama’s Place Community and EARN 2 EXTRA ENTRIES. You can earn 3 more extra entries by creating a new post or join in on the conversations on the “Forum” section of our mom community. (5 TOTAL EXTRA ENTRIES)
6. Grab one of Hip Mama’s Place’s buttons under the “Grab Our Fabulous Buttons” on the right hand side bar on our main page and paste it on an HTML page on your blog sidebar. (5 EXTRA ENTRIES)
Remember, the more entries you have, the greater chances of winning! Please make sure to leave a separate comment for each thing you do for your extra entries (i.e. your name on HMP Community name, Google Friend Connect, Facebook name, Twitter name and post links, etcetera). Good luck!
*Hip Mama’s Place Disclosure: “My reviews and opinions are 100% my own. Sourcebooks provided me a copy of the book mentioned on this post to facilitate this review and giveaway”.
About the Author: Jocelyn Cañasa-Brown is a working mom of two boys and is a recognized blogger and mom influencer in the Washington, DC area. In her spare time, she designs and creates her own handmade jewelry, maintains her jewelry store on Etsy and is an active moms group organizer and leader both online and offline. Hip Mama’s Place was nominated for Parents’ Picks 2010 Best Parenting Blogs and named one of the Highest Rated Blogs and Sites on Nickelodeon ParentsConnect for the Washington, DC area. Follow Jocelyn on Twitter and/or Facebook.