Looking to do something fun with your kids and family for Father's Day? How about gathering in the kitchen and make these adorable Hoot Owl Cupcakes, a Father's Day craft inspired by Winnie the Pooh.
Batch of chocolate cupcakes
Caramel Bullseye candies
White candy melts
Black licorice sticks
Here's how to make it:
- Generously frost one third of the top of each cupcake.
- Next, create owl eyes. For each pair, slice a caramel Bullseye candy in half to create 2 thinner circles. Place the halves between two sheets of waxed paper and use the rolling pin to flatten them slightly (they should be about 1 1/2-inch-wide).
- Top the caramels with white candy melts, and then set a chocolate chip on top of each candy melt, using dabs of frosting to hold the pieces in place. Place a pair of eyes on each cupcake, pressing them down onto the frosted portion.
- Create facial feathers for each owl by snipping two 1 1/2-inch lengths from a piece of black licorice. Cut fringe in one end of each length. Then stick the fringed licorice pieces in place right above the eyes.
- For the finishing touch, add cashews for the owls' beaks.
Don't miss out on the latest fab deals, cool freebies, high value coupons, fun giveaways, sweepstakes and more! Subscribe to the Hip Mama's Place email newsletter, Hip Mama's Place feed reader, or simply "Like" Hip Mama's Place on Facebook and/or follow Hip Mama's Place on Twitter!
About the Author: Jocelyn Cañasa-Brown is a working mom of two boys and is a recognized blogger and mom influencer in the Washington, DC area. In her spare time, she designs and creates her own handmade jewelry, maintains her jewelry store on Etsy and is an active moms group organizer and leader both online and offline. Hip Mama's Place was nominated for Parents 2011 Best All-Around Mom Blog and named one of the Highest Rated Blogs and Sites on Nickelodeon ParentsConnect for the Washington, DC area. Follow Jocelyn on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.