Do you know that over 2,000 babies in the United States still die of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) each year? And one known leading risk factor is overheating.
With the cold winter months upon us, it's easy to crank the heating and use those plush, thick blankets to keep our babies warm. But be forewarned: infants who are overdressed or covered in heavy blankets or many blankets are at higher risk for SIDS. So when you lay your baby down to sleep, make sure she is dressed lightly and comfortably to avoid overheating. The CJ Foundation for SIDS- a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping reduce the risk of future infant deaths- recommends the use of wearable blankets and sleep-sacks in place of blankets to keep infants warm while sleeping.
aden + anais®, creator of the original muslin swaddling blanket and unique muslin cotton sleeping bags, is proudly sponsoring the CJ Foundation for SIDS and their continuing efforts to educate parents about the importance of not over-bundling and over-heating their infants. In an effort to support the CJ Foundation for SIDS’ mission, aden + anais® began sponsoring the foundation in October 2009 during SIDS Awareness Month. Each aden + anais® product is made of 100% breathable muslin cotton, which allows baby’s body temperature to adjust naturally, reducing the risk of overheating.
The CJ Foundation recently launched its Sleep in Safety, Grow in Style (SSGS) campaign to help educate parents about the importance of designing safe sleeping environments for babies. aden + anais® is working to help the CJ Foundation inform parents of the many ways they can keep their baby safe. While over-heating is one risk-factor for SIDS, SSGS and aden + anais® seek to educate parents about this and the other risk-reducing, precautionary practices:
* Consider the use of fans to increases ventilation
* Room temperature should be comfortable for a lightly-clothed adult, approximately 61-67 degree Fahrenheit
* Cribs should be totally free of all loose blankets, stuffed animals and crib bumpers
* Lay baby to sleep in an improved crib, on a firm mattress; do not let the baby sleep on soft things, like a couch, pillow, sheepskin, foam pad or waterbed
* No smoking when pregnant or near baby
* If possible, breastfeed baby
* Offer a pacifier at bedtime
* Co-sleeping should be in the same room but not the same bed or other sleep surface as parents
Education is the key to keeping your baby safe. For more information on SIDS, visit www.cjsids.org.
And for baby's safe night’s sleep, consider getting the cozy sleeping bags by aden + anais featuring 4 layers of breathable muslin cotton. aden + anais sleeping bags will eliminate loose crib blankets, which can be dangerous to your baby while sleeping.
*Good news, Hip Mama's Place readers! aden + anais has offered to give away one (1) of their cozy sleeping bags in the winner's choice of size and fabric print!
To enter the contest, simply visit www.adenandanais.com and browse through the cozy sleeping bags section of the shop. When you're done, come back to this post and leave a comment with your choice of cozy sleeping bag size and fabric print.
This contest ends on February 24th, 2010 at 12MN, EST and is open to U.S. AND CANADA ADDRESSES ONLY. I will choose ONE (1) WINNER using Random.org and will be announced as a comment on this post.
*IMPORTANT: PLEASE DO NOT CROSS-PROMOTE ANY OTHER GIVEAWAYS HAPPENING ON ANY OTHER BLOG OR WEBSITE. DO NOT LEAVE ANY COMMENT ON THIS POST IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO ENTER THE CONTEST. I WILL APPRECIATE IT.
Your comment is your one entry. To earn extra entries, just do the following: (You may leave extra comments for your extra entries if you wish)
1. Grab the Hip Mama's Place badge code under the "Grab Our Fabulous Button" and paste it on an HTML page on your blog sidebar. (1 EXTRA ENTRY)
2. Tweet this event on Twitter with a direct link to this URL page: (JUST COPY THE WHOLE PHRASE BELOW AND PASTE IT ON YOUR TWITTER PROFILE UPDATE) (1 EXTRA ENTRY)
I just entered the aden + anais cozy sleeping bag giveaway on Hip Mama's Place! http://bit.ly/ay6GOl #giveaways #contests #deals #baby
3. Mention this giveaway on your Facebook with a direct link to the giveaway URL address: (1 EXTRA ENTRY)
4. Write a short post about this giveaway on your blog linking to our home page or the URL page address on #3 (2 EXTRA ENTRIES)
5. Follow Hip Mama's Place on Twitter (1 EXTRA ENTRY)
6. Become a Fan of Hip Mama's Place on Facebook (1 EXTRA ENTRY)
You will have eight (8) total entries when you do the above-mentioned extra entries besides your comment. The more entries you have, the greater chances of winning! Good luck!